MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2001, 10:02 PM   #21
john_86stang
Registered Member

Exclamation

I have seen people knock the guts out and weld a pipe straight through the stock cats, but that was only needed when the system was put through an inspection process. My take is if you feel that you can get by with it, go for it. I have the off road set up with the 2-chambers and they do sound good! To me it's definitely worth it!!! Just my .02

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe, No smog pump, pulleys, K&N, and still going.
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:15 AM   #22
Tony Frank
Registered Member

What i think i might do is take my car into the shop on a trailer and take off the plates, then tell them its my drag car. as for the tickets i dont know what to do if faced with that? im sure ill chance it.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT 15,000 original miles, cam, intake, headers, carb, windage tray, you know the goodies
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:25 AM   #23
Green92LX
Registered Member

Just put a little hook on the end of whatever you are using to bash the guts out with...it takes a lot of fumblin around in there, but you should be able to pull the mesh crap right out of there...

OR you could push it through and take it out the front...I did one side one way and the opposite on the other...

Just make sure you get everything out of there

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 11:36 AM   #24
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

Tony Frank

Quote:
Originally posted by SkarodoM:
Ok.. this may or may not matter..

On my Z ive got some hooker LT's going into a catless ypipe and then into a 4" mufflex exh. When we had the ypipe fabbed up, we actually took the tags off the car and towed it to the shop, telling them it was strictly a race car. They believed it when we fired it with open headers hehe.

Anyway.. Whether this will help or not, i dont know. But if you can get low enough to see under my car, you can see the catless ypipe.. im actually thinking about tack-welding the old heat shield off my cat onto the piping. At least then it'll appear to have one. Hi-flow cats are loud too y'know

Just an idea.

Phil
Jerico Performance
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:00 PM   #25
StreetStang37
Registered Member

You all are all lucky compared to Cali cars. The cops here check everything. If they want you to pull over, they say "you didn't use your turn signal" while you are actually in the turning lane waiting for the light to turn green. They look for any reason. Your stereo might be on at half volume and they say they heard it across the street and proceed to open up the hood for no real reason. My brother got a ticket for his intake and had to go to court and have a judge clear it, that's why I took the "March 5.0 Ram Air" sticker off the ram air box, to give it a stock appearance.

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. mandrel bent cat back, High Flow H-Pipe, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:52 PM   #26
blueneonman1
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanx for all your help everyone...the stock catpipes were finished today...things are as clear as the Holland Tunnel . Now, to see what they can do!

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Drop-in | FMS 9mm Wires | Hi-Flow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | 14deg Timing | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:00 AM   #27
84stang83zephyr

I'm in the process of putting on an offroad H-pipe on my car and if i get a fine for that i'll load my pants
Old 03-16-2001, 08:34 AM   #28
Green92LX
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about carrying an extra set of undies in the car with you...like I said earlier, most cops are too damn stupid to realize what you have, and the rest are too damn lazy to get under your car and inspect...

Cops are people too, right??? (Hard to believe) And how many people have a clue about what we have in these babies???

I rest my case

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:11 AM   #29
jimberg
Registered Member

The gains from an off-road pipe will be insignificant and not worth the hassle. I'd stick with the high flows.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #30
blownfiveo
Registered Member

First off, this is my first post and I would like to say hello to all my fellow "Stang Bangers"

Secondly, being that I am from Canada, they do not legislate the use of cats here. I run off road h pipes on my 92 notch and have been pretty much since the day I bought it brand new back in 92. (exhaust being one of my first mods) One day they probably will make it illegal to run with out cats here, but until then, I will enjoy my daily driven 440 HP blown notch with 2 chamber flowmasters and off road h pipe thank you very much.....

I would agree with jimberg to a certain extent of performance benefits of high flow cats to an off road h pipe. I would think that off roads would make more power, but the key thing here is the price difference between the two. Off roads are much cheaper...

good luck to all of you.

[This message has been edited by blownfiveo (edited 03-16-2001).]
blownfiveo is offline   Reply With Quote