MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2003, 10:32 PM   #21
Nixon1
Registered Member

Well I've already got the 4.10...and for torque converters, I was thinking of the TCI Street Fighter converter...it's 10", 3000-3600 stall...something like that (little too high for my liking BUT that's ok because it's a lockup-type.) If not that, then maybe the 10" 3000 stall B&M Holeshot converter with the anti-ballooning plate for nitrous. Any opinions between those two? Both are on Summitracing.com.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #22
Barry Jackson
Registered Member

Default which tranny

Be carefull about buying a low cost converter. I had 2 of them before I found a good one. Both were lower cost and both were junk! I like Percision Industries and Lentech.
87 LX, 74 351W, performer plus intake, holley 750, vac sec., 78 prim. 80 sec., 50 pump: Wolverine cam 292-512, windsor heads, ported 3 angle valve, 4:10 rear, AOD, Lentech valve body w/ 10'' converter. No time slips yet!
Barry Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:15 AM   #23
RBatson
Registered Member

If I were in your shoes... I'd be looking to get a t-5 installed and buy a set of heads with the rest of the money(good-bye 14s, hello 13s). On the other hand, if you want an auto and won't miss od then a c4 is the only way to go(you have the gears for it). It is soooo cheap to get a good c4 and then you could also get the heads. If you MUST have a built aod, I can't blame ya.. I think my tranny is the best thing in my car, I wouldn't buy **** from anyone but LENTECH.. listen to me!! I bought a wide gear ratio for my car(can be found in police cars), bought the PI imput shaft and "The Stallion" lock-up convertor and I had problems.. I called lentech and they told me my problem was that I had a lock-up convertor so I send the convertor back(one time free adjustment, I was about to send it back for a $750 refund) and bought the lentch street/strip valve body... after the install I was AMAZED!! My tranny is the envy of many a local mustanger and that is saying alot with the company I keep. Gas mileage went out the window but the performance is there.. I'm not sure this is what you are looking for though. If it is, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THOSE OTHER TRANNY COMPANIES!!! LENTECH KNOWS THIER ****! Art Carr has been a big name in auto trannies since I can remember but you can only use there imput shaft with one of thier convertors(which I thought was bull ****) and they are sooo over priced it ridiculous!... ok I'm rambling...

My advice to you is.. if you want a fast street car then get a t-5 conversion and a set of heads, you will run with the ls1s(with what you already have). If you want to get serious about some performance, buy a lentech tranny.. you will not be sorry(TRUST ME!). Above all else, DO NOT GET A STOCK REBUILD!!! Umm... yeah... I got one of those to start with... learn from my mistake..
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #24
RBatson
Registered Member

Oh hell, if you are looking to get by cheap then what mustangII460 is offering would be a hell of a deal.. I'd definitely trust him, himself.(I meant to mention this is the last post)
Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM   #25
Barry Jackson
Registered Member

Default Tranny - RBatson

Could I ask what tv pressure you run? How is your 1-2 shift. We set up the pressure a little conservative I think. Thurs. I am going to increase the line pressure.
Thanks,
87 LX, 74 351W, performer plus intake, holley 750, vac sec., 78 prim. 80 sec., 50 pump: Wolverine cam 292-512, windsor heads, ported 3 angle valve, 4:10 rear, AOD, Lentech valve body w/ 10'' converter. No time slips yet!
Barry Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #26
Nixon1
Registered Member

RB, are you referring to the tranny that mustangII posted, the AO Dominator? I think I'm close to being completely decided on this.. My plans are: to order the AO Dominator Jr, and have the A+ billet servo, the mechanical diode, and the hardened input shaft installed with it. I'm trying to see if I can order it without the torque converter. I tried to get him to yank the valvebody as well but he won't do it....so I'm gonna have a leftover, stock valvebody with a stage 2 shift kit if anyone's interested? Then I'm gonna order a converter, which is between the two I mentioned so far....although despite the lockup on the TCI, I'm leaning towards the B&M Holeshot converter, but I'm not decided on that yet. And finally, I'm ordering the AOD valvebody from Lentech...and gonna have it all slapped together and have the valvebody included on that transmission removed.....then I'm going to TRY to sell my complete, working transmission, with a shifter, PLUS the extra valvebody with shift kit, as a "package deal"...so I can recoup at least SOME of the losses here. Overall, I think this setup should do me pretty good....I mean I'm only making 225 or so hp at the wheels right now. This tranny is SUPPOSED to hold up to 500 flywheel hp.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #27
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Re: Tranny - RBatson

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Jackson
Could I ask what tv pressure you run? How is your 1-2 shift. We set up the pressure a little conservative I think. Thurs. I am going to increase the line pressure.
Thanks,
I honestly couldn't tell ya.. My ex bitched about the shifts hurting her back and my mom said she was a crybaby...
Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #28
RBatson
Registered Member

I honestly couldn't tell you what the line pressure is.. I have a tranny guy that does my work... he is very good (been doing it since his teens) and for some strange reason won't take on any other mustangs but will always work on mine, I'd have to ask him
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 PM   #29
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixon1
RB, are you referring to the tranny that mustangII posted, the AO Dominator?
I was referring to the one he said he has for $500. I am not famiiar with the other 'AO Dominator', I didn't even look at the link. I can't give you recommendations on anything other than what I have dealt with first hand and as far as I'm conserned PI makes good stuff but Lentech actually knows what they are talking about.

My car ran like total **** before lentech started giving be advice..
Old 05-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #30
RBatson
Registered Member

Sorry I didn't answer this yesterday, I actually passed out on the couch in the middle of a post(30 hrs without sleep).. I've never owned a TCI product I did however have a B&M Holeshot convertor for years, I liked it. I'd still be using it if some shoddy mechanic didn't damage it..
Old 05-29-2003, 01:12 PM   #31
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RBatson
won't take on any other mustangs but will always work on mine, I'd have to ask him
Errr... any other 'trick' mustang trannies, he said they are a PIA to work on but since he started on mine he works on it..