MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #21
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Re: Smoking Vents?

Well it is a head gasket. So I have to get around to doing those asap. I was looking up some part #'s and such, and my question is now, should i change the head bolts as well when i change the head gaskets? A couple places recommended it, but I am not sure if it is absolutely neccesary
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #22
tmoss
Registered Member

Yes, absolutely put new ARP head bolts in it.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #23
Rosco
Registered Member

Is there anything else recommended that I change whilst the heads are off? I know i have to get all new gaskets for everything, just wasn't sure if i should replace or check anything else? The motor has a little over 82k on it. I was also wondering if it is absolutely necessary to remove the pushrods before remove the heads? I have a couple mustang books, and only one of them refers to removing the pushrods prior to removing the heads? Thanks alot everyone
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
tmoss
Registered Member

Yes, you have to (should any way) remove the pushrods.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #25
Rosco
Registered Member

ok, well i finally got a little more time to work on the car today. I have the passenger side head pulled off, and i noticed that on both heads, that the very first intake ports are a rust color. I am not sure exactly what this means, so i am not sure if i should be worried about anything? I was also wondering what i can do to clean up my heads? The outside of the heads have a crapload of buildup. I was also wondering if there was anything I should do to cleanup the insides of the heads and such? thanks alot everyone.

Last edited by Rosco; 07-05-2005 at 08:17 AM..
Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #26
Rosco
Registered Member

any ideas about the color intake ports?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #27
ralph s
Registered Member

a leaky intake will do that. will also let coolant into the valley where it mixes with oil.
then things run hot. then other gaskets fail. i found out the expensive way. checked your oil? the color of my oil wasnt so different. 6 + quarts were. thats what set me lookn at the gaskets like they was gonna tell the future.

Last edited by ralph s; 07-06-2005 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: more info
ralph s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #28
Rosco
Registered Member

hmm..wondering if it was maybe just an intake gasket leak then....both heads had 2 miscolored intake ports...Oh well, the heads are off, so it's time for some new gaskets