MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #21
grey88gt
Registered Member

Default Re: Autotranny Adjustment

Your exactly right rwhite65. I personally like it that way, I very seldome put my trans in OD unless I get over 55-60 mph. Ive got so used to driving it like that I just reach over and pull it out of OD, which also helps slow the car down some what. But like you said dont drive the thing until you get it right or youll have a short lived AOD.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #22
jalangst
Registered Member

I think it might be too late. I played with the adjustment some the other day and it seems to shift well but something still isn't right. I wonder if there was something wrong with the transmission they put in there. It has just never been right. Seems like they would have adjusted it correctly when they put it in. They had to change the linkage cable and all. I don't know. I just don't get it. Anyway, I was driving it last night and first is almost burnt up. But there is a bright side, I bought the lifetime warranty from Ford on the trasmission so, they will have to fix it. Anyway, I'm not going to drive it anymore till I can get someone to look at the transmission. What is the worst thing that could happen, they put me in a new trasmission?
jalangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #23
rwhite65
Ride Hard

If you ate that transmission up, there will be a silver grayish color gunk in the bottom of the pan. If that cable is not adjusted right, it can cause a lot of stuff to happen with that transmission....up to its failure.

You might also check the Trans fluid at the dipstick, probably will have a burnt smell to it now.

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 AM   #24
jalangst
Registered Member

sorry to resurrect an old tread but just thought I'd give an update. I took my car to a guy who rebuilds racing transmissions and he said he'd redo it all for $875. Sounded like a good deal. Everyone says he's the best around. I know the cable adjustment ruined that perfectly good transmission. The jackass who put it in didn't take the time to adjust it. I'll be sure to never see him again. Fortunetly, this is all covered under the warrenty with the transmission. So, it won't cost me a thing and I'm getting back a better transmission. Kind of sad, cause that tranny only had about 40,000 miles on it. We'll see. Should get it back mid next week. Can't wait to try it out.
jalangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #25
rwhite65
Ride Hard

When I put an AOD in my 65 back around 1997, a lot of people didn’t know about the conversion, and finding info was even harder. The internet was not a big deal with most, so I didn’t have this board to help me.

I paid a guy 500 bucks as he had come recommended by some hot rod guys. Long story short, it shifted like crap and he said that was "ok". Only 2 years later and maybe 2500 miles, it burnt the AOD clutch pack right out. I feel your pain.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote