MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
surfsup
Registered Member

Default Two speed Acc Drive

1985 was the last year for the TSAD for the a/c, so I’m assuming that the computer or the EEC now controls the a/c circuit. My questions are, my car was original a 1992 2.3, which now has an 85 carbureted 5.0. (the computer in my car has been by passed, but everything is still in the car.)
When I connect the compressor, will the EEC or computer control the a/c circuit? Or do I have to install the tsad into my wiring harness. Also the HO has a wot relay in the circuit, the 2.3 doesn’t, how important is this for every day driving? Or is this just a high performance feature?
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Two speed Acc Drive

I dont know how the TSAD works. What exactly is that?

The WOT is just a protection/performance feature so the engine does not have as much load at WOT. You can just click off the a/c before punching it.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
surfsup
Registered Member

this is what i found on the tsad. with the throttle wide open, the wot a/c cutout relay opens. It signals the tsad to remove power to the wot cutout relay, cutting off power to the a/c field coil. Also the tsad operates the accessories at half speed to decrease engine load. When the tsad returns from half to full speed operation, a/c is momentarily cut out. and then turned on a few seconds later. and this make no sense to me.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

How does it operate the accesories at half speed. this is what I dont understand.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I thought that the two-speed accessory drive didn't actually make it to production? It was in the sales brochures and the service manual but it didn't make it past the prototype stage (at least not on V8 cars). Someone correct me if they've actually run across one.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
surfsup
Registered Member

The only thing I can think of as far as full and half speed is the way the a/c clutch cycles. At idle the clutch stays energized longer then when the engine speed is increased.
According to my manuals, they all show the tsad in the schematics on the HO
Old 04-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I can see the need for that on the 2.3 for accelerating and such because the AC robs a lot of power. Not a bad idea on any engine really.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #8
Gearhead999
Registered Member

As far as I can remember the half speeds acc drive never went in production. I remember the big deal they were making about it, and how much power it would save, etc. etc.

But, never was on anything I saw or serviced at dealership.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999
As far as I can remember the half speeds acc drive never went in production. I remember the big deal they were making about it, and how much power it would save, etc. etc.

But, never was on anything I saw or serviced at dealership.

Good, someone else remebers this too...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
surfsup
Registered Member

Ok there is a tsad module, when I stripped my donor, what I took out on the passenger side I thought was the computer, , I was looking for the part number on the computer because some ask if I had one for sale, and could they have the part number, were the harness plugs in its stamped TSAD. So the question now is, do I try to install this for the A/C?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I would be interested in this too because when I bypass my factory ignition and run MSD set up, my a/c wont turn on. I always thought this was some sort of computer too, but I know it does not control much except for the a/c and maybe factory emission stuff?
Production # 9,377
Old 04-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #12
surfsup
Registered Member

I wonder why you’re a/c doesn’t work, didn’t think the ignition was tied into it. You didn’t unplug something? The compressor, or the pressure switch, maybe moving wires around you broke one to the a/c. maybe you just need a charge, did you try by passing the pressure switch to see if it kicks on?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #13
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Well, When I bypass the ignition module (silver box under the hood) I cant get it to turn on. I can run the msd box inline after the stock box and it works. I am thinking the module in the passeneger area controls the ignition module under the hood and in turn controls the a/c.

But now I am going to be running an msd distributor along with the msd ignition so I have to figure it out when i get the car back together.
Production # 9,377