MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
1 phat GT
Registered Member

Question some question from a new comer..

well i have some basic questions so i can learn about my stang. I've been drivin it for about 3 weeks now, and i wanna go faster (got used to it i guess). Do stang's come stock with 8.8 rear ends? if not please correct me. I'm lookin to put some gears in the rear, but before i go with anything performance i need to fix a leak in my rack (power steering leak, not too bad), and then a vlave cover gasket leak. How bad of a job is that? from what i can see it looks like i only have to loosen up the intake instead of removing it, cause it's only the right side thats block by it? Hopefully thats it for now. Any input is definately appreciated. thanks.

-john
1 phat GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

1986-up 5.0 stangs have the 8.8" rear end, it is an excellent imprivement over the 7.5.

Here's the best way to come up with a performance plan, take a piece of paper, and write down your ultimate goal, what you want the car to be in 3 years, then on another piece, write down what it will take to accomplish that goal, such as parts, installation, cost, etc, then write down the order in which you want to add those items.

What year, model, etc do you have?
Old 02-12-2002, 09:09 PM   #3
1 phat GT
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, 8.8 sounds kool enough.. lol. It's a 1990 GT Convertible - black with black top, and black leather inerior and 5 star ponies, the LX tail lights also. Pushin a Sony XPlod head unit, but thats the least of my concerns til i get this beast running the way i want it to. I'm not lookin to run the 1/4 mile in 13 seconds - in fact far from it. Basically just lookin to the my friend's Trans Am some decent competition, he's got the fastest car in school and over time i think we should change that, don't you?. Anyone interested? heh.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:16 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

What knd of T/A does your friend have?? What year?? Model?? If It's a newer LS1, You're gonna have to run in the 13's to provide some competition. Also, do you have a AOD or T5?

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #5
1 phat GT
Registered Member

he has a 94' T/A with an LT1 - car is noticably faster cause we switched cars for a day so we could feel the difference. He says mine pulls harder than his, as far as take off. I tend to agree but i dont know why. I have a T5.