MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Default Torque converter installation

I have a torque converter and a trans cooler that will be comming in shortly. Will I be able to isntall either of these 2 on my own? Do I need to pull the trans? thanx
Old 07-24-2002, 01:49 AM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Installations

I would get a good service maual if you haven't attempted these things before and recruit someone who has some experience. The cooler should be fine for you to install. Yes, you have to drop the tranny to install the converter.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

-Suave
Old 07-24-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

The converter was probably the first major mod I did to the car. You just gotta start, take your time, and remove what's in the way to get the tranny out.

I've got a very brief run through of the project on my web-site in my sig.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:38 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

If your not aware that you have to remove the tranny to change the converter, you definately should get help and not try this on your own.

Do you have a good set of tools?
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:53 AM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Funny thing is....I had the same question when I started out. I didn't know a great deal about the process involved in swapping the converters. I knew what a converter did, how it worked, etc. I just didn't know if there was some kind of short-cut to avoid pulling the tranny (I was pretty clueless...I'll admit ). Mach 1, I remember you told me exactly the same thing.

90lx, if you've got a basic working understanding of mechanics and can swap an alternator out, you can swap a converter out. It just involves a whole lot more time and a lot more bolts. Take your time and be careful, and you'll be ok. DO get someone to help you. I had two people helping out and it was what was needed. A tranny jack helps a great deal, and you have to be able to get the tranny out from under the car so it must be raised up sufficiently. Anyway, if you feel ambicious and know your way around a tool box, you'll be fine. Give a hollar with any questions.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Old 07-25-2002, 09:19 AM   #7
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

Silver_Pilate. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated. LOL. I also know how the converter works but like you were, I am clueless. My friend Raini. (drtbiker) is going to help me do the swap on sunday, if I get my parts by then. If not, then it's got to wait a few more days. Again, thanks for your help, and good idea showing the converter installation on your site. It's gonna come in handy.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:56 AM   #8
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Good luck on the project.

Just remember, that install overview on my site is pretty general and I know I left out some details. When you mate the converter to the tranny, make sure it is seated on all sets of splines, otherwise you will burn up the converter. Also, when you get the tranny bolted back up to the block, check the fit of the converter on the flywheel. It should have just a little bit of slack before you install the bolts.

When you have the tranny out and the converter out, you need to replace the front seal as well. It's only a few bucks from Autozone or somewhere and a breeze to install.

You're likely going to spill a bunch of fluid of the back of the tranny due to tipping it. Just be aware and have a catch pan handy.

Also, the driveshaft bolts can be a bear to take off. Spray a good bit of monkey grease on the bolts and let em soak and use an impact or a long breaker bar to get them free. You'll need a 12mm (if I remember correct) 12 sided socket.

--nathan

Old 07-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #9
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

-Suave
Old 07-25-2002, 06:11 PM   #10
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

As silver_pilate stated, be careful and make sure the converter is fully seated on the splines! If not seated properly you will damage the front pump, and that's what will burn up the converter. I swapped out my tranny and put in a new converter just before winter. You will most definitely need a second person when putting the tranny back in. That damn thing is heavy and cumbersome when your on your back and have about 24" between the ground and the car. Just take your time and you should be all set.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 06:50 PM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

It can be done by yourself. But not recommended for a first timer. It requires a lot of finese and patience to get it lined up good enough while balancing it on a floor jack with one hand and trying to move it around with another, and start a bolt with yet another hand that you dont have.. at the same time jacking the engine up to tilt it back, making sure the tranny lines are out of the way, the TV cable, the torque converter lined up, and the dowel pins....definately has the potential to be a pain in the you know what...
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 07:01 PM   #12
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
....definately has the potential to be a pain in the you know what...
That doesn't even start to describe it!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote