MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2001, 10:34 PM   #1
andrewgarland
Registered Member

Red face 5.0 vs 4.6?

OK... This will decide it... I'm posting this in Windsor Power and Modular Madness. What is the real difference between the 5.0 and the 4.6? Besides the obvious size... I'm sure we'll get a heated discussion here. I invite you all to check out both the Windsor, and Modular topics, to post your responses... Thanks!
andrewgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 10:50 PM   #2
Killercanary
Registered Member

The real difference??? Well the 5.0 has been around for decades, the 4.6 since the early 90's. The modular motors have over head cams, the windsors used push rods. The 5.0 is tried and true, with years of research under its belt, the 4.6, well its fairly new. The 4.6 in the 96-98 was not the best it could be, and was lacking in torque, as well as high rpm HP. The 99's and newer took leaps and bounds from the earlier models, and makes great power for all the more cubes it has. This is the very basics. I drove a 96 before I drove my 95, and once I drove the 95 I knew right then and there I didn't want a early model 4.6, but this is just me. If I were looking for a fun spirited car that I had no plans to modify, then the 96-98's will do, but I was looking to throw as many parts at it as I could afford. I could go on and on, but I let it up to the others.

------------------
95 GT convt' 5 speed, 3.73's,FMS HD clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, ASP alum. underdrive pulleys, Bassani offroad X pipe, 2 chmbr flowmasters, K&N w/o silencer, edelbrock performer intake, FRPP 65mm T-body, FRPP shorty headers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft.Hooker 4pt chrome car bar, Xenon/Wings West ground effects, custom interior
Best ET: 13.83
Best MPH: 98.55mph with Best 60': 1.91 on Nitto DR's
Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 11:08 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

Killercanary sums it up pretty well. Like he says, if you want something to work on, 5.0l is definently the way to go. First off, there are lots of parts for it, just because of its longevity. I would also say that the older cars were bigger and therefore had more room to work on, but I don't really have anything specific to back that up with. Of course, because the 4.6 is smaller it is going to have less torque, simmilar to the way that those little jap suckers have no torque, but no way on the same scale.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:31 AM   #4
84_GT350
Registered Member

One other thing, the 4.6s have a much smoother revving feel than the 5.0s. They are much more rev happy than a stock 5.0 and that's a good thing cuz they make power better at high rpm. They're also a pain to work on if you're inexperienced.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 10:10 AM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The 4.6L is larger, externally, smaller internally.

The 5.0 is the least expensive way to go, no matter what you want out of the car. It's not as refined as the 4.6, it's more of a brute. Still the SN95 stangs got away from a lot of the brutish type feel in my 87 hatch. They have a huge aftermarket, everything under the sun can be put on them much cheaper than the 4.6's. They've been around now for over 30 years, the basic block has been around for over 35. The 5.0 is solid, reliable, quick, and easy to mod. They can make anywhere from the stock rating of 205-240 to 350hp+ in N/A form and still be reliable daily drivers.

The 1st gen 4.6L's are dogs. They have crappy cams, and crappy heads. They meet emissions really well though. Even though some people may lable them "rev happy" they are not. They do not support high rpm power stock, and they fall off well before redline (somewhat like the 5.0). They are more expensive and difficult to mod along with lacking the freebie technique of bumping timing. They are smoother, they respond well to forced induction, and they have solid blocks.

The 2nd gen 4.6L's are very quick. A totally different world from the 1st gens. You can run 13's for a couple hundred bucks, instead of a couple thousand for the 1st gen cars (barring N20). They take to forced induction very well and have a better reputation for revving like you'd expect an OHC motor to do.

The 1st and 2nd gen 4.6L DOHC motors are sweet. They are built strong, they rev with authority, and they have lots of power. With the addition of gears and drag radials you can pull low 13's with them. The 2nd gen's 99,01 are equipped with IRS out back, not so good for high power apps, but they make a little more 320hp vs 300hp stock. These motors are psychotic when under boost. A good supercharger and you can be running 11's on pump gas all day long. The 96-98 Cobra's IMHO are the best way to make a fast reliable car. I don't trust the high power applications on the new IRS.

My advice, decide what you want the car for, then test drive all the models you are interested in and pick your favorite. The differences in the feel of the cars cannot be put into text.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 02-21-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote