MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Thumbs down engine idling problem

i was wondering if someone could help me out here, i have a problem with my engine idling up to 1500-2000 rpm's when i am at a stop light or just sitting in neutral or have the cluthch pressed in, My car is a 1987 ford mustang with a k&n filter and nothing else, i run 91 octane, she is bone stock, it is mostly when my car is warm that it wants to rev high, it has been an on going problem since i first bought the car last year and i recently did a tune up including plugs (bosch platinum), wires (accell street custom fit), cap & rotor (platinum gold) and an oil change with valvoline higher mileage engine oil and it seemed to not want to idle as much as it used to but it is still there, i have been told to replace my oxygen sensors and i have been underneath the car and they look like they have never been done since it first came out of the factory, so i am wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if they have fixed it with the solution i just said (oxygen sensors) i know it would be a good idea to replace the sensors as it is but with $60.00 a piece canadian and with two of them needed, money is kinda tight, so that is why i need to know if this is the problem, thanx.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:52 PM   #2
GreenPony
Registered Member

Default Idleing High

I have the same problem, But when the weather is cool outside it won't idle high and stick, but if its humid and even if i just start the car and drive off it will still do it,. But if i turn my car off then back on real quick it will be back to normal..I dunno maybe we both can get an answer here.....
Berry
Old 03-25-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
fast88
Registered Member

replace the idle air bypass valve on the side of the throttle body,some people tell you to try to clean it but trust me just replace it as they never seem to run worth a flip after you take it apart and try to clean it.
fast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:52 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

You can check the idle air bypass by unplugging it while it it idleing high. If it drops like a stone the IAC motor is out of whack. Hard idle may have to be reset, or the motor cleaned or replaced.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #5
kevknotch88
Registered Member

jus my thots

1. idle air bypass is the likely culprit

2. throttle position sensor could also be out of adjustment.

3. check carefully for vacuum leaks

have experienced similar problems and mine was a combo of 2&3.

kevin
1988 Coupe 135k BBK uneq, X-Pipe, mac 2.5, pullies, southsides, alum d/s, 3:08's, Tremec, TFS Stage 1 cam, 65 TB, Mass Air, Gt-40 U&L = 13.645 @ 104.61
kevknotch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 05:31 AM   #6
Import Slayer
Registered Member

i had a different problem, my car was idling really erratically, and just today i bought some throttle body cleaner, took off the intake hose, sprayed it up and down and all around and up into the idler bypass and low and behold now it runs great!
only things i reccomend are putting a blanket or rag around the throttle body so spray doesnt get everywhere and when it leaks out, and i didnt see a need to remove the idler bypass thingamajigi just sprayed her right in. one more thing it may take a couple cranks to get ur car going again, but once itturns over i runs beautifuly.

i hope this can help someone

89 5 speed LX 5.0 - off road h pipe, B&M short throw, 13* timing, blue bottle glasspacks, removed air silencer, accel super stock 8mm, bosch platinum 4's, no times
Import Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:13 AM   #7
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I clean out behind the throttle plate every few thousand also. The EGR belches exhaust gas behind the TB and carbon and other crap builds up back there. Also when I removed my upper manifold for the valve cover change, I removed the idle bypass valve and totally cleaned out the passage and valve tip.

Like others mentioned, if the Idle motor itself is malfunctioning, cleaning it won't help. Also good tip, remove the passage housing and valve together from the TB, then carefully unscrew the motor from the pasasage. You can strip out those little screw heads easy.

I would expect to find a vac leak also to account for that high idle

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:27 PM   #8
abesmith69
Registered Member

when I have had this problem I disconnect the idle air bypass for about 5 min and reconnect it and my Idle is back to normal.

-Abe
Old 03-26-2002, 01:03 PM   #9
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Try this!! My problem was identical to what you guys are describing. Right behind the intake there are two (or three as in my case) 10-pin connectors. They are white and black. Right now sitting at my desk I'm not sure if I had one white and two black or the other way around. In any case, pull these connectors apart. Do one at a time!! You'll probably find a lot of green sludge. Clean this out with electrical terminal cleaner (from Radio Shack or other electronics store) and re-apply some sort of conductive gel/grease (also from Radio Shack). I hope this works for you. After struggling with the TPS, throttle body, etc., someone on this board recommended cleaning the ten-pin connectors and it worked for my car. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:19 PM   #10
GreenPony
Registered Member

Default Ten Pin connectors

I will have to try that when i get home..I will post a reply on if it helped any.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2002, 05:59 PM   #11
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I saw a thread on the Corral.net board that also mentioned poor contact in the 10 pin connectors. My car had the upgrade done (factory mod sticker on the rad shroud) this puts a jumper wire that gives more slack to the 10 pin harness, supposedly excess tension caused intermittent check engine light etc.

HMM I remember having that flashing check engine in my brand new 91!! The dealer said nothing was wrong at the time BASTARDS!

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:02 PM   #12
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Unhappy throttle air bypass valve

i was looking in my hynes manual and i came across a diagram showing my exactly where the air bypass valve is located, now i have owned another mustang but it was a 2.3 and has a similar if not the same air bypass valve, my question here is would a throttle air bypass valve from a 2.3 fit a 5.0, i am guessing right now the answer is no because of the different air ratio's from a 2.3 to a 5.0, well anyways let me now if anyone has attemted this.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
wgp2002
Registered Member

Default Re: Idleing High

I have a problem too. It idles at 1400 rpm and i have replaced the tps, egr valve cleaned the little black and white clips on the intake. It still idles there and stays there all the time. I ran a diagnostic test and it said the egr valve was bad so I replaced that, but nothing happened. I unplugged the harness from my tps and nothin happened is that a problem too.
wgp2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:28 AM   #14
abesmith69
Registered Member

disconnect the idle air bypass for 5min and plug it back in.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:01 AM   #15
Comatose
Registered Member

For reference:

Disconnect the IAB when the car is running or shut off?

Thanks,
Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT

K&N Filter, Removed Air Silencer, Black Magic Fan, 65mm Explorer TB, 110lph BBK Fuel Pump, F/M Force II Cat -Back, O/R h-pipe, U/D's Timing@14*

1986 Mustang LX SSP--new project car

AOD, 3.27's, Dumps, 238k miles
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 07:04 AM   #16
abesmith69
Registered Member

when the car is shutoff
Old 05-01-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
mike5p01
Registered Member

I too had that same problem... tried all those things mentioned. I was so aggravated by it. One day when I had the hood up I heard a whistle... turns out it was just the vacuum line that ran right behind the distributor.

Mike5p0
_________
'93 Lx 3.73, O/R H-Pipe, 2 1/2 cat back