MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What's through the cowl hood?
Poll Options
What's through the cowl hood?

Old 09-19-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Mock up: I have Issues!!

It's sorta bad, but I like it. If that makes ANY sense. Here's what happened. I have my only 351w block at the machine shop right now, it's a 9.2" deck block. I want the car to be ready, so I can just drop in the new motor when it's done, but this is a total re-engineer job. New fuel system(S), exhaust, new nitrous system, new suspension, you get the idea.

I ran into a problem building all of the new parts. I need an actual engine in the car for mock up! So I put the 302 cracked block back in. Did the suspension, drive line etc etc. Well tonight, I turned my 302 into a "351" for mock up. I can explain how to do this if you're interested.

Here's the crux of the situation. A Holley carb on top of a nitrous plate, on top of a Super Victor intake, on top of a 351w WILL NOT fit under a 4" cowl hood.

Cool! I thought at first. Then I thought about my $500 hood that has the $2000 quad coat, ghost flames, laser red, paint job on it. Do I cut it? Do I redesign my entire driveline to drop it 3"?

I decided to cut the hood, and here's the poll. Sorry for being so long winded here. What would be cool sticking up through the 4" cowl hood? NO MR. GASKET STREET SCOOP. Unless you have an old school blower. Otherwise, just NO.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 AM   #2
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

As of right now, all youre polls are a tie, lol! I really dont think a car looks right with something sticking out of a cowl induction hood, if it were a stock hood, that would be different. I would personally go with the hillborn style scoop that has the butterflies, they always appeal to me, I guess it reminds me of seeing an ole high stack roots type blower. If you really have your heart set on cutting up the hood, use the force so you dont mess up your cool paint job.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Coupe Devil

Stock hood with B U T T E R F L I E S .. Look sweet.

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Hey dude whats up?

On my car:
9.5 deck Height
super victor intake
4150 style Carb
14x3 k&n air filter
Wilson Plate
fits undewr a Cervini 4 inch cowl hood.
When I had the 5 inch extended cowl on it I could even put on a Carb spacer and thats with stock height motor mounts!

If you want, I will measure my total height of my motor for comparson purposes.

Let me know.

P.S I am even thinking of putting in Dropped motor mounts for even more clearence.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Even with my 302 in it, it really seemed like it was sitting higher than "the other guys". I had almost half a fan above the radiator. NO WAY a shroud would have fit. Possible that some prior owner put the wrong motor mounts in her?

MICE need not apply.....

Old 09-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

I have an electric Fan on mine but, somethings sounds way off.
Are you using the stock mouter mounts?

Do you still have the power-booster still on the firewall?
Reason why I ask is because I put mine on just to see if it would fit and it did with 2 inch taller valave covers and room to spare.
So in an ecense you should be able to make some comparison. Is this the same car you were running earlier?

???
something is wrong and you really shouldn't have an issue fitting your stuff under a 4 inch cowl un-less you are running some other intake besides the super-victor.

Any pics....
Old 09-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

I am 22.5 inches from the Motor mount landing pad on the stock K-member. That is without the spacer or nitrous plate but does include the 14x3 inch k&n air filter.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Same car as before Nitro, just getting the new engine in. I have the stock power booster, tall valve covers, no problems there. According to Edelbrock, the Super Victor is 6" tall from the block, to the carb pad. If I install a "mock up" 6" spacer, my carb is waaay higher than the fenders.

With all of the other atrocities I have found in this car, I'm thinking the retard I rescued the car from has the wrong motor mounts in it. I'll get some pics today, AFTER I get back from the race track!

Thanks for the help bro!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 09-26-2004, 07:33 AM   #9
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Crappy "phone picture", but is this what you guys' motor mounts look like? I think my problem lies in my carb spacer, and incorrect dimensions for the mock up. I might be a bit higher than I'm supposed to be. Or like I said before, these are the wrong mounts.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Hey man these are the convertible mounts. I am using them in my 302 car. Those mounts you have look like stock hardtop mounts to me. Your block will set lower with these convertible mounts. I have solid mounts in my 351 car. If you want to see them, I can post them too.