MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2002, 03:10 PM   #1
FdMust88
Registered Member

Default Starting Problems???

Today I went to start my car and all I got from the starter was a whinning noise, didn't seem to engage.. I whacked it a few times and then it worked once.. I then went to the store and got a crappy rebuilt starter.. That's all I could find on short notice.. I wanted to try and hit the dragway tonight.. Guess what, that starter didn't work either.. I then replaced the starter relay/solenoid/switch, why I'm not sure, the starter was getting power... Still Nothing.. I then took the starter back and got another crappy one.. The 2nd new rebuilt starter didn't work either.. Will a new Ford Starter or better fix my problem?? What's going on here.. It sounded as if the rebuilt starters weren't engaging at all, and if they were maybe they didn't have the torque to turn the engine over???

Any help would be great...
91LX, Modifications include: MAC Cold Air Induction Kit, MAC Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust, BBK H-Pipe, Edelbrock 70mm T.B., Pro-M 75mm MAF, MSD Wires and coil, NGK plugs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Underdrive Pullies, Kirban Fuel Pressure Regulator, Koni Adj. Sport struts & shocks, FMS springs, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, Strut tower brace, Kirkey Seats, and some Autometer gauges. Probably a few things I've forgotten also..

1991 Mustang LX
FdMust88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
PKRWUD

What's your battery voltage? What happens to it when you try and start it? Try cleaning your ground connections at the block/battery/body/frame.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
FdMust88
Registered Member

I checked the voltage (12.4v) across the battery.. I've gone through most of the connections and they all seem to be clean and ok. I'll re-check more thoroughly tomorrow and let you know if I still have a problem.. I also ran my scanner earlier and the only could that comes up is 67 (neutral safety switch??).. I've been getting that code forever without any problems..

Oh yeah when I try to start the car it makes a loud whinning noise which seems to be coming from the starter.. This same noise came from all 3 starters, like they aren't/weren't engaging at all, maybe just spinning...

Thanks,
Matt
91LX, Modifications include: MAC Cold Air Induction Kit, MAC Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust, BBK H-Pipe, Edelbrock 70mm T.B., Pro-M 75mm MAF, MSD Wires and coil, NGK plugs, Pro 5.0 shifter, Underdrive Pullies, Kirban Fuel Pressure Regulator, Koni Adj. Sport struts & shocks, FMS springs, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, Strut tower brace, Kirkey Seats, and some Autometer gauges. Probably a few things I've forgotten also..

1991 Mustang LX

Last edited by FdMust88; 09-18-2002 at 05:38 PM..
Old 09-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Are you sure you don't have a damaged ring gear on the flywheel?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 09-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
FdMust88
Registered Member

I re-checked and cleaned the connections today and everything seems to be fine besides the fact that it still won't start. Still the same whining sort of buzzing noise.. Is it possible to have the wrong starter relay that I just replaced.. The crappy replacement one I got has an extra (small) terminal..

"damaged ring gear"???

Are the symptoms of a damaged ring gear the same as what I have described above? If it turns out to be a damaged ring gear what is involved when replacing the gear is difficult and what is the function of the gear..

Thanks...

1991 Mustang LX

Last edited by FdMust88; 09-19-2002 at 03:39 PM..
Old 09-20-2002, 02:34 AM   #6
PKRWUD

The ring gear is the teeth on the outside of the flywheel that the starter engages. If they are damaged, the starter will just spin.

pull the starter, and look at the teeth on the flywheel, and see if they are damaged.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 09-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #7
FdMust88
Registered Member

Thanks for the help... After checking and re-checking I finally found my problem.. It turned out to be a slightly loose ground connection that I kept missing...

Now I have a new problem, they won't take the rebuilt starter back that I bought for $147 + $75 core charge at a dealership.. I bolted the starter in and removed it minutes later.. I really need help on this one.. What should I do.. I guess I could keep the starter in stock but what about the core charge.. Where can I get a core for free or $10 so I can get my $75 back????

Anyone have other suggestions..

1991 Mustang LX
Old 09-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
PKRWUD

You're stuck with the new starter, as most electrical parts have a no return policy. As far as the core, find a junkyard and get one for $10.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!