MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
VeNuM
Registered Member

Default 302 Boss block

This stock 4 bolt main block is supposed to be beefier than the roller 302's. I'm building a hydraulic 331 roller stroker over the winter and have the opportunity to get this Boss 302 block. Is it worth getting it and can it be converted to a hydraulic roller block? Or is it a waste of time and my stock block with 2 bolt mains a steel stud girdle would be just as strong? Need some feedback here, don't know much about these old blocks. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

WOW, that's one hell of a find you stumbled across. I would definatly get that block.
They make retro-fit kits to convert to roller cam and lifters.
Your stock 2 bolt block would also be fine but I would rather have the boss block.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:39 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

If the price is half way decent get it even if you're not gonna use it ...they are getting pretty rare and fetching a nice hunk of change now !!

Look for C9ZE or D0ZE or D1ZE-B if its a C8FE then its a tunnel port 302 (indentical with the others), you sure want to pick that one up !! worth some bucks !
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

Cool Re: 302 Boss block

Quote:
Originally posted by VeNuM
This stock 4 bolt main block is supposed to be beefier than the roller 302's. I'm building a hydraulic 331 roller stroker over the winter and have the opportunity to get this Boss 302 block. Is it worth getting it and can it be converted to a hydraulic roller block? Or is it a waste of time and my stock block with 2 bolt mains a steel stud girdle would be just as strong? Need some feedback here, don't know much about these old blocks. ~Brian
hard to find parts for and expensive. get sportsmans 302 or a 351. you will be wastung your money. also nothing off the windsor blocks is compatible with.

how much? if it is cheap and the block is good, snag it up and then you can sell it.

those motors were design for all upper end. good luck!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:50 PM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Re: 302 Boss block

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
you will be wastung your money. also nothing off the windsor blocks is compatible with.
Well double check me on this but i think thats wrong srv ... a boss 302 is nothing more than a 302 with a high nickle content and 4 bolt mains and thicker webbing. It did of course have different heads but i'm 90% sure its the same basic block.
Problem with them is they don't recommend you cut it over .040 or you risk water jacket intrusion.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
PKRWUD

First of all, the only "Windsor" engine was the 351W. There has never been a 302 "Windsor" engine. In fact, they were all built at the Cleveland plant, except for the 351W.

The Boss 302 block is nothing more than a heavy duty 302 block. It will work with any other pre-roller 302 components without any modifications.

Take care,
ÅChris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

Chris, you are right. i dont know where i got that info from! i do know they where designed for high rpm. the Boss 302 is a windsor block fitted with Cleveland heads. what i was thinking is that the Boss has different pistion pin height.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:29 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
Chris, you are right. i dont know where i got that info from! i do know they where designed for high rpm. the Boss 302 is a windsor block fitted with Cleveland heads. what i was thinking is that the Boss has different pistion pin height.
I wasn't criticizing you, James, I'm sorry if it came across that way. I guess I just have a pet peeve about how so many people keep calling the 302 a Windsor. I even have a book that someone gave me called "Ford Windsor Small Block Performance", in which they say repeatedly that the 302 is a Windsor. Pisses me off so much, I can't read the book. Silly, I know. Maybe I need to get back into therapy, or start getting high again

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote