MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
yelowjaket
Registered Member

Unhappy 16x8 wheels won't fit on fox body...what's wrong here?

I got 4 16x8 wheels about 2 weeks ago and just tried to put them on. The thing is when i turn the wheel all the way to the right/left the wheel hits the control arm. So it looks like i'm gonna have to return the wheel and get 16x7.5. I don't know if it matters or not but i had 225/50/16 size tires on them which is the correct size. Before i return them is anything you guys can suggest to maybe adjust something to get them to fit? oh yeah and i drive a 1990 GT, if that helps. Thanks
-BBK equal length shorty headers
-K&N
-BBK 65mm Throttle Body
-Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake
-3.73 gears
yelowjaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

Default lowerd

Is your car lowered? mine is and i have 225-55X16's 16x7's and my tires rub the inner A-arms just slightly. You can solve this problem by, adding a extra spacer on each side of the rack and pinion in the boots. I havent done mine yet. But it should make the steering not turn as far, thus not rubbing the arms.
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
tmoss
Registered Member

It also increases your turning radius - samll price to pay for cool wheels I guess.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Backspacing on the rim makes a big diff. Now I can possibly understand hitting the wheel wells but the A-arms??? Well, if they're hitting just ever so slightly, then I guess you can't avaoid it.

I don't know what your specs are on the rims, but I think they should fit if they were right-- I would think. I have a friend who has a '86 Mustang and has 16x9s all the way around and no major problems like you're having. I'll try to find out tonight what type of spacing is on the rims he has (if he knows) if you don't find out b4 I do.... or if no one else here knows. In any case you may need to find out that info b4 you get the new rims....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
yelowjaket
Registered Member

Default Re: lowerd

Quote:
Originally posted by TMASTER
Is your car lowered? mine is and i have 225-55X16's 16x7's and my tires rub the inner A-arms just slightly. You can solve this problem by, adding a extra spacer on each side of the rack and pinion in the boots. I havent done mine yet. But it should make the steering not turn as far, thus not rubbing the arms.
No mine's not lowered. It does have aftermarket springs, shocks, struts. But its still the stock ride height. That's why i'm so baffled, i thought i'd only need to be concerned if it was lowered but since it's not i just figured i wouldn't have any probs. Oh, well at least i learned something useful for the future.
-K&N
-BBK 65mm Throttle Body
-3.73 gears
Old 06-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
yelowjaket
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
Backspacing on the rim makes a big diff. Now I can possibly understand hitting the wheel wells but the A-arms??? Well, if they're hitting just ever so slightly, then I guess you can't avaoid it.

I don't know what your specs are on the rims, but I think they should fit if they were right-- I would think. I have a friend who has a '86 Mustang and has 16x9s all the way around and no major problems like you're having. I'll try to find out tonight what type of spacing is on the rims he has (if he knows) if you don't find out b4 I do.... or if no one else here knows. In any case you may need to find out that info b4 you get the new rims....
Thanks for checking i appreciate it cause i'm really confused right now heh. Oh and yeah they're rubbing "ever so slightly" like you put it, sorry i guess i phrased it wrong they weren't "hitting" it but they were touching slightly. But that was enough for my dad to give it a "no-go". Until he can find a safe alternative. Thanks for you input and let me know if you find anything for me. thanks again
-K&N
-BBK 65mm Throttle Body
-3.73 gears
Old 06-10-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
chatcher
Registered Member

you need to check your backspacing i have 8 inch wheels and the fit is fine where did you get the wheels? im not sure what the backspacing of my wheels is but the fronts are about flush to my wheel lips on the fenders you need more rim on the other side of the rotor from the sounds of it