MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-24-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
MaHFiVeoH
Registered Member

Default lowering Springs Question

I just bought some springs to lower my car (1.5 inch drop) and was wondering what else is required to install them.
Can i just have them put in and be done with it? I know an alignment might be needed after the install.
MaHFiVeoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

Definately have the car aligned, the alignment will be off, there is no way to install springs without needing an alignment. If it has been a while since you've replaced the struts on the front, you might want to do that, it would be easy to do while the springs are out.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
erl2589
Registered Member

Offset rack bushings were recomended to me and I bought them. They raise the steering rack back up a little to compensate for the lowered car.

I didn't get the caster camber plates.The alignment wouldn't come in quite right without them, tire wear is OK though. I hear this varies from car to car . I may get some when I replace the tires next time.

Depending on the spring rates you may need stiffer shocks and struts. I started with the Monroe GP's. They never seemed to be quite adequate and wore out quickly. I'm much happier with the Koni sports (red).

Spring isolaters may be in order, these are the rubber or polyurethane pieces that keep the springs from hitting metal to metal on the spring perch

Have fun.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
MaHFiVeoH
Registered Member

The springs are progressive.Will a shop do the alignment even if they can't get it to the correct specs? Do i absolutely need these bushings for the steering rack or will it be ok they way it is after it is lowered?
Sorry about all the questions, i just want to know what i'm getting myself into.

Thx again.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:30 AM   #5
erl2589
Registered Member

The offset rack bushings are not absolutely necessary, I couldn’t tell you how much
difference they make. They are designed to reduce bump steer. Bump steer is when
movement in the suspension causes the front wheels to change direction.

The alignment shops I’ve delt with have no problem doing the alignment on my car even
though they can’t get it just right.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
MaHFiVeoH
Registered Member

So i can get away with not using the caster/camber plates but i should probably get the rack bushings to keep the steering rack close to the origional position. Just wondering how much do these rack bushings cost ? Or if you have a link i can check out, it would be even better.

The springs i bought (used) have an air bag type thing for the rear springs, should i use these or just leave them out?

Thx again.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
erl2589
Registered Member

Maximum Motorsports has a good reputation for street suspension. They don't recomend the offset bushings.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/rbd.asp
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/cc.asp
I bought my stuff at Brothers Performance because they are close to me. They are the ones who sold me the bushings.
http://www.brothersperformance.com/s...g/bbk2508.html
You might might want to try the corner carvers delight board on this site. Some of those guys are very knowlegeable on the subject of suspension.

Good luck...
Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
drudis

You might not NEED any more, but I would have a set of Caster/Camber plates handy, if they cannot aling it right. I would also recommend the Maximum Motorsport ones. Dont be fooled by the fancy aluminum polished ones, they dont last. Get the "ugly" all steel ones.
Other than that you should be all set. No need for offset rack bushings or struts (unless you got radical with springs).
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
crazypete
Registered Member

I had the same problem with the alignment being impossible without the plates and I opted for increased tire wear instead. Now.... Why not simply bore out the shock tower's holes to allow for greater travel? Turn them into slots instead of holes.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
MaHFiVeoH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazypete
I had the same problem with the alignment being impossible without the plates and I opted for increased tire wear instead.
How far was alignment off? Was it real bad or just off by a bit.

Last edited by MaHFiVeoH; 10-28-2003 at 02:22 AM..
Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
4Isleeper
Registered Member

Default Re: lowering Springs Question

You might not NEED any more, but I would have a set of Caster/Camber plates handy, if they cannot aling it right. I would also recommend the Maximum Motorsport ones. Dont be fooled by the fancy aluminum polished ones, they dont last. Get the "ugly" all steel ones.
Other than that you should be all set. No need for offset rack bushings or struts (unless you got radical with springs).

I agree plus be ready to widen stock hole. Then, are drag racing or cornering. Big difference!!
4Isleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: