MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Surging at higher speeds and RPM

Ok, this is just recently happening. Driving anywhere from 60-100 mph the car is surging pretty bad. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, but if it's WOT it will slug real bad. It doesn't seem to happen at all at lower speeds, it still feels real solid. Not sure what the possibilites are, but i have no mods, other then flows, flex fan, and an a/c delete. I am running 89 octane, just replaced the plugs about a month ago, and I gapped them to the factory specs in my shop manual. Plugs are Bosch 2 prong platinum, same ones that were in there before i changed them in which i had no problems what so ever. I'm trying to rule out the idea of bad gas, but other then that what possibilites are there. I was talking to a mechanic at work today, and he said it's possible it could be a plate in the TB ( bad memory so I'm not sure exactly what he said). Thanks

Rosco
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:47 AM   #2
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Have you replaced the fuel filter lately?
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

actually, no i haven't. I actually just went through another tank of gas, different station, same 89 octane, and it seems to be a little better with the surging. But the problem is I'm still getting it. I'll have to look into changing my filters. Oh yeah, around what kind of mileage should i be changing my o2 sensors?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 10-11-2003, 09:38 PM   #4
stangGT95
Registered Member

O2 I believe to be changed 30-50K. Also I read on some other posts that people were having problems close to what you're having and they too were using Bosch spark plugs and other 'stangers recommended just sticking to plain old Autolite copper plugs (But I guess if you were using them before that wouldn't apply). Could there be a bad plug(s)? I heard of some coming from the factory like that, broken center electrode inside the ceramic.
95 GT w/ AODE and Transgo Shift kit, trans cooler, SpeedCal, KB 1.5 Flowzilla w/ 6# pulley, MAC chrome CAI, chrome radiator hoses, stock MAF w/ center post removed, 70mm PP TB, electrical boost & FP gauges, digital A/F gauge, 1 5/8" unequal headers, 2 1/2" ProChamber h-pipe, Borla catback exhaust, and 3.55's. Cobra RR hood, Saleen double wing, Xenon body kit, chrome Cobra R wheels 17X8 in front and 17X10.5 in the back.
stangGT95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

Yeah, its always a possibility. Well, I'll just stick with all the stuff until winter comes. Going off the road soon for winter, and a paxton.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
stang_racer20
Registered Member

why r u running 89 octane?
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote