MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2001, 05:37 PM   #1
Stampede
Registered Member

Post Anyone using the KYB adj. front struts?

How well do you like them and have you had any promblem with them?
Thanks Stampede.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:16 AM   #2
spinemup
Registered Member

im using them... agx kyb they are 4 way adj in the front and 8 way adj in the back. i haven't had any probs with them. my passengers can always tell when i got the suspesion set on stiff though
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 09:15 PM   #3
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

What kind of springs are you running? If you have lowered springs or plan on getting some later on I'd have to say go with some Koni's.

KYB's are fine for a stock ride height though and have heard people say they have are a better handling strut over stock.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 08:44 AM   #4
spinemup
Registered Member

hey axeman, he isn't talking about the regular kyb's he is talking about the new agx adjustable shocks. i got eibachs on my car and kyb agx and it dampens alot better than stock. i highly doubt you have heard bad things about the agx shocks yet.
Old 01-31-2001, 03:33 PM   #5
autoX
Registered Member

Well, I for one would rather put a little more money into a shock that has been race proven and has been around for a while than dump quite a bit of money into KYB's adjustable shock... They might be fine, but I know it would be hard to go wrong with a set of Konis... I bought KYB's (non-adj) for my ride to save a little bit of money up front, but I just ended up ordering some Koni Yellows and am paying way more in the end than if I had done it right the first time! Unfortunately, I can only give my .02 (even though you didn't ask for that!) Sorry...

------------------
Red '90 GT - My Daily Driver w/ Kenny Brown braces & Springs, 6 KYBs, Caster/Camber Plates, Factory Five Control arms, Poly Bushings, 3.55 gears, Hurst shifter, Dynomax cat-back, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels... Griggs torque-arm, panhard bar, and Koni Sports waiting for installation!
My other toys:
Viper Blue '85 GT Convertible - Just restored and almost on the road!
Black '95 VW Jetta VR6 - To be sold as soon as the Convertible is on the road!
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Stampede
Registered Member

AutoX,
Don't be sorry. This what I ask for, to find if the KYB adj. struts are good or junk.
I wanted to ask why did you end up buying the Koni's after buying the KYB struts?
Thanks Chad.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #7
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

Oh, I didn't realize KYB came out with some better stuff. Are they warranteed for lowered vehicles? If not and you are lowering your car I'd steer clear. Which BTW Stampede, you never did reply as to what kinda springs you have or plan on having =)

Those are things to check before spending your money on this kinda stuff. Koni's are guaranteed for LIFE no matter what kinda suspension setup you have. The reason they guarantee them that long is because you will never have to replace them so they are out nothing.

Check http://www.shox.com for the best prices on struts and shocks. No lie.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
Old 02-01-2001, 02:43 PM   #8
spinemup
Registered Member

Wink

wow axemann, maybe konis are the way to go. i must have bought a really crappy shock combo. its too bad you didn't live a little closer we could have our own "shock comparison" on some of the local off ramps.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:49 PM   #9
Stampede
Registered Member

I plan running 4cyc. rear springs and the stock front springs. My plan, is for now that is, to run in the NMRA Factory Stock class. I'm trying to build a competitive combo. on a shoe string budget.
I want to be able to drive to the track and to work, without having driveablity problems. I also want to set up the car for other things, when and if I do decided to do something else, I want to be able to change things without a big hasle.
The Koni's are only 40.00 more each, and they have the lifetime guarantee, so I think I will go with the Koni's.
How do they do on the street while street racing and exit ramps at about 100 mph?

Wait, forget the Koni's, just called Summit, the Koni's adj. front struts are 255.00 plus each, to much for me, back to the KYB's. I ask about a guarantee, Summit offers a 90, and KYB offers a one year guarantee.
Hey Spinemup, how long have you had yours, and how will do you like them, I bet a lot better then the 255.00 plus for the koni's. I ask about KYB, the salesman told me they have been manufacturing shocks and struts for 15 yrs, they must be doing something right.

Stampede,

[This message has been edited by Stampede (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old 02-02-2001, 02:12 AM   #10
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

If you aren't planning on lowering your car the KYB's will do fine.

All I know is I've heard a few people say their KYB's didn't hold up with lowered springs. One of them was a tech guy at Kenny Brown Performance. He said he put brand new KYB's on with Ford C springs and they only lasted 8 months.

That price you got from Summit is the norm, but if you go to the web link I posted in my previous post you'll get a lot better price. The phone number is 800-683-2890. I think they sell KYB's too so they probably have a better price on them as well.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site