MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Vector
Registered Member

Default Using G-Tech as a tuning tool?

Anybody out there use the G-tech for tuning? How accurate is it, and how easy is it to get consistent runs and results? I live out in the corner of the pacific northwest, and I'm sure I couldn't find a dyno to run on even if I did want to pay 150 a session. So looks like the G-tech is my only hope for tuning. Some of the main features on the new ones that I like are the horsepower and torque curves. So what's it like?
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: Using G-Tech as a tuning tool?

I've used both the original Gtech and the newer Gtech Pro. I like them. The older one was very optimistic as to times and trap speed when I ran at the same time on the drag strip. The newer Gtech Pro is a little pessimistic when compared to the track times and speed.

Both were exstremely repeatable though. Witin hundreths of a second of one run compared to another with the same conditions. I use my Gtech Pro all the time to tune, especially after changing to different engine parts. When I think I've actually made an improvement, then I go to the track to verify it (it's fun going to the track anyway). After showing improvements at the track, I do eventually dyno the car to see what the RWHP and torque curves look like. It's good to see what the air/fuel ratio looks like too, if your local dyno has that option.

Remember though that the hp/torque figures from the Gtech will be artificially low. This is because air drag and front wheel friction and every thing else that causes a drag on the engine is reflected in the power that the Gtech measures.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Using G-Tech as a tuning tool?

I use my Gtech as a tuning tool alot. Very repeatable results as long as you dont have excessive tire spin.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote