MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-31-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
Beanhead
Registered Member

Talking Hi! Newbiew w/ a 5.0 flywheel clutch question!

Hi Everyone!

I found this board when I was researching clutches. There's a really good "how to article here", and well, that's what led me here..

Anyhow, I just installed a new Spec Stage 1 clutch, had my flywheel resurfaced, replaced the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and rear oil seal around the crank. All bolts are also torqued appropriately.

Anyhow, upon putting everything back together, I found that my clutch pedal now travels about an inch or so before it encounters any resistance. Before, I'd feel resistance right from the start, with just about no travel.

So, I started her up, pedal down (clutch engaged), and it made this horrible WHUP WHUP WHUP noise, and shook the car, almost as if something was out of balance. But, I know that my flywheel can only be mounted one way (6 bolts) right? And Spec tells me that their pressure plates are zero balanced, so I have no idea what's going on here!!!

I immediately shut her down. I did not let up on the clutch pedal to see what would happen because she's parked on a homemade lift, and I couldn't take the chance of it engaging for some reason, and well, I think you know the rest...

Basically, I wanted to be sure that on the '94 5.0's, the stock flywheel can only be mounted in one manner. Is this so?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, and I hope to meet you sometime!!!

Joe
Old 10-31-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
Conman
Registered Member

I'm assuming that the 94 would be the same as my 88

the 6 bolts are not spaced evenly so yes it only goes on one way

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:46 PM   #3
Beanhead
Registered Member

Thanks, I suspected as much, and everyone tells me as such...

Any idea why the pedal would travel a bit before pressure is felt versus immediately feeling the pressure?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
muskrat
Registered Member

This question may sound a little novice, but did you use a spline alignment tool?
muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
Beanhead
Registered Member

yep!
Old 10-31-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
429mustang
Registered Member

As far as the pedal travel, do you have an adjustable cable? I'm thinking a stock one with an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate may not have the right tension, and when you turned it over it was also turning the transmission which could have made things shake. Just my guess. If you don't have an adjustable cable, get one. I tightened my cable until the slack was gone, then a few turns more. Drive it around a little while, then recheck the tension. If you already have an adjustable setup, then make sure it's set right.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:27 AM   #7
Beanhead
Registered Member

Thanks for your perspectives. As it turns out, here's what appears to happen:

When you install the clutch and pressure plate, you usually use the alignment tool to hold the clutch disc in place while you torque the bolts on the pressure plate, then you take it out. Afterwards, you install the bellhousing, and attach the clutch cable back onto the end of the fork. Well, if you're like me, at that point, you go into the car and hit the pedal a few times, just to check to see if all is ok. Well, I guess when you do that, since the tranny input shaft is not there to "hold" the clutch disc, and if you've taken out the alignment tool after torquing the pressure plate, the clutch disc can easily shift position, and thus, be thrown out of alignment.

So, my big mistake was "forcing" the transmission input shaft in when the disc was slightly out of alignment. It slid just about all the way in with ease, then stopped an inch short of beging able to bolt the tranny onto the bellhousing, so I tightened it together (I know I know, I shouldn't have, but it was my first shot!)

So, in the end, I took all apart again, put it back together with time and care, and viola, the pedal is now rock solid, and I have a feeling it's going to see some pavement this weekend!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 AM   #8
429mustang
Registered Member

Good deal
Old 11-01-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
PKRWUD

The best lessons are the ones we learn from experience. I guarantee you that will never happen again to a clutch you're installing.

Good fix, and good follow up. Thanks!

Take care,
ÅChris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:13 PM   #10
Beanhead
Registered Member

Again, thanks for all the comments!

And yep, when clutch time comes around again, it's going to take half the time and will be done right the first time!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 07:15 PM   #11
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

did the same exact thing once ,tested the clutch and didn't realize that it'll move if you disengage it i spent a few hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't go together ......
live and learn
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote