MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2003, 06:36 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Finally got my longtubes...jump in to share a install horror story

Well,

The 351W swap MAC longtubes are here and I must say that they look like a decent product, but the finish could be better. I can see many scratches in the HTC coating but other than that everything looks cool. What could I paint them with to "enhance" their ability to be scratch resistant, since the HTC coating isn't cutting it?

Also, tell me your horror stories about the install of these. I have my engine and tranny out right now so it's probably not as bad as it could be. I have a C4 with a big SFI bell......I hope they fit around the bell, and hopefully they will give me steering shaft some much needed space. Right now I ave to shim my engine with heavy washers b/c the BBK shorties actually rest on the shaft.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Hey, good luck with those.

I don't have a longtube story, but I'll share a similar experience.

When I dropped the motor in my car, I did so with the stock shorty headers bolted up (didn't have the BBK's yet). As I was trying to bolt up the H-pipe (also stock, but hollowed) I ran into a problem with the passenger header flanges meeting up with the H-pipe (bent flange). I worked on the thing for two hours. Of course, there's absolutely no room to work with on that side, and I cussed, grunted, and sweated using long screwdrivers, prybars, and hammers.

After a lifetime of lying on my back with my head rolling in that kitty-litter spill soaker stuff, I gave up. I finished putting it all back together and decided I'd give it one last try. I crawled under, took a long screwdriver, tapped the bracket once, and it slid right on. Oh...I was pissed. Two hours struggling with it and all it takes is one little tap a couple of hours later.

Remember, the hard stuff goes just fine. It's the easy stuff that will eat your lunch.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default Re: Finally got my longtubes...jump in to share a install horror story

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_ROTY
Right now I ave to shim my engine with heavy washers b/c the BBK shorties actually rest on the shaft.
Try hammering in the header where it hits the shaft instead of shimming your engine up to clear it.........
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We've got MAC long-tubes in our 88GT, a pain to put in, and one of the tubes stills rubes on the steering linkage.

If you can afford it, get those headers Jet-Hot coated, wish we spent the money as our headers are starting to rust big time after 2-years.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang_289
We've got MAC long-tubes in our 88GT, a pain to put in, and one of the tubes stills rubes on the steering linkage.

If you can afford it, get those headers Jet-Hot coated, wish we spent the money as our headers are starting to rust big time after 2-years.
Sounds a lot like my story

Mine have got some good rust going on as well, Oh BTW, They will be history in about 3 weeks. I will tell you about the removal then

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
Simi Stang

Default Re: Re: Finally got my longtubes...jump in to share a install horror story

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
Try hammering in the header where it hits the shaft instead of shimming your engine up to clear it.........
That's exactly what I had to do on my '84 Mustang GT that I used to have, when I installed some long tube Hedman headers. The headers were rubbing on the steering linkage, but just a quick whack with a metal pipe and hammer & I had enough clearance. It was a pain. I had to remove the starter to get them in there. I even had to loosen both motor mounts enough to allow some friends & I to lift the frickin motor up a good 4 or 5 inches before them SOBs would slide down in there on the passenger side. I have shorties on my '90 GT...and I'm just fine with them. Hey, at least the motor is out of your car though!
Old 06-27-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

Quote:
Originally posted by Ackbar00
Sounds a lot like my story

Mine have got some good rust going on as well, Oh BTW, They will be history in about 3 weeks. I will tell you about the removal then

and an install story too!
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
jimberg
Registered Member

Bassani has some new 1 3/4" shorties that I'm going to try at some point. I like the idea of the long tubes, but I'm not sure if they are worth the trouble.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Well, took longer than I originally thought to get my butt down in that shop (really nice weather finally) but one I got down there this weekend it wasn't bad at all. The headers fir nicely with the engine out and they cleared the bell easily. We dropped her back in with the tranny and headers bolted on so we had some manuevering to do with the headers but overall my engine builder and I are very satisfied with this product. Yes, they are scratched to S&*t but that's what I expected. The only issue is the steering shaft which "seems" like it won't be a problem. I have the shaft back in at the firewall but didn't have time to bolt the knuckle back on. So, barring any issue with getting that knuckle back on I'm a very satisfied owner of a nice set of fairly cheap lontgube headers.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 07-02-2003, 07:49 AM   #10
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Well,

She's ALIVE again! She sounded so mean with the headers wide open....I love it. I almost want to fork out the big $$ for the electroinic unit that open them up with the flip of a switch.