MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Blaster
Registered Member

Default Hesitation at WOT in 1st!?!

I've ran into a wall with my car(91GT). It has an E-303 cam, performer RPM intake, and Performer Heads, along with exhaust, pulleys, etc. The problem is that when I punch it around 2000-2500rpm in 1st gear it hesitates for about 1/4 second then takes off. My TPS is fine as well as fuel filter etc. I'm guessing it's a fuel problem but I'm not sure. Do I need 24lb injectors?? I was also told getting a chip burned would help quite alot. I'm also thinking maybe an adj. regulator might help. Anyone ever run into this problem???? It runs great otherwise, but it hesitates for a split second (like a carbed car) when I hit it around 2500 in 1st. HELP.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

wires and plugs..replace them..

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Blaster
Registered Member

Plugs and wires were replaced last year.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

lol @ last year..you do know you own a sports vehicle and you have to replace things more often..do you own short tubes equal elgnth headers? if so then you wires are burnt on them..

you do not need bigger inhectors..stock is fine for now..how is fuel pressure?..def look at your plugs and see what color they are

Old 06-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
daman007
Registered Member

Default hesitation

sorry to say this but many times when you put a bigger manifold and better heads you will run into problems like that unless you go all the way. leave it stock, a stock moter with a bit of work usaly runs way better with the stock manifold, reason is, hear you are dumping fuel at a faster rate down BUT your air and mixture is all wrong, now im not saying this is the priblem im just going by exp, i remember once doing sn old 340 dodge an an old 302 and on both i did the smae mistake whent out bought bigger carbs, performer manifolds and the car ran worse no kidding $800.00 for nothing actually worse cause when i raced i would never race from a stop but only on rolling starts, i was a kid then so who knew. the one thing that will probably help is a new chip and get it set up by a real good set up guy, bigger injecters will make it worse not better. id bet if you put the old manifold back it would run way better and then you will feel the power of your built up heads.
daman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

this problem is new right..not when you changed your combo..if it is when you changed the combo are you using 1.9 or 2.02 heads?

Old 06-26-2003, 05:46 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: hesitation

Quote:
Originally posted by daman007
sorry to say this but many times when you put a bigger manifold and better heads you will run into problems like that unless you go all the way. leave it stock, a stock moter with a bit of work usaly runs way better with the stock manifold, reason is, hear you are dumping fuel at a faster rate down BUT your air and mixture is all wrong, now im not saying this is the priblem im just going by exp, i remember once doing sn old 340 dodge an an old 302 and on both i did the smae mistake whent out bought bigger carbs, performer manifolds and the car ran worse no kidding $800.00 for nothing actually worse cause when i raced i would never race from a stop but only on rolling starts, i was a kid then so who knew. the one thing that will probably help is a new chip and get it set up by a real good set up guy, bigger injecters will make it worse not better. id bet if you put the old manifold back it would run way better and then you will feel the power of your built up heads.

You are telling him to choke his aftermarket heads with the stock intake

His manifold is perfect for his heads.

He has a well matched combo with a little glitch that more than likely is a plug wire.

I havent laughed that hard in a while.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #8
daman007
Registered Member

hey first of all i never told hom to do anything, i just gave my opinion that is all, thats what this board is all about, anyway he said he has new wires. and if you think that you can just throw a bigger manifold on a car and and it will run better, then im the one laughing. id bet that a stock car against a car with a performer manifold on it and thats it would beat it everytime, it will run better and CONSISTANTLY. All that aside i was again giving my opinion and nothing else, if you want to laugh at someone while your bench racing staring at a screen on your computer so be it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
Blaster
Registered Member

I cleaned my throttle body(59mm)with carb cleaner, checked the wires(not burnt, and even sprayed that stuff that pops if the spark is jumping on the wires, my plugs look OK(Delco, or should I be running something else in my 6037's for a plug??)I also changed the fuel filter and checked the TPS again. I still need to check the fuel pressure, but if that looks fine I'm thinking maybe new O2 sensors(Have never been replaced), and/or a adjustable regulator to get more pressure?? My car dosen't even break my 245/50R16's loose when I nail it from a roll and I'm getting frustrated. Should I try a motorsport 65mm TB with the new TPS on it just to make sure my electronics are not screwy??? Please help.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:42 AM   #10
LX5liter
dude5l

Default Re: hesitation

Quote:
On an injected motor the computer is constantly adjusting the air/fuel mixture (to a point), so it is easier to change things without messing with the fuel system. Carbs are a different story as daman007 says, it takes a lot more tuning to get things right, but your still injected so we'll go from there. Your hesitation could be a fuel pressure issue as well. get an adjustable regulator and a gauge to set it with. Try bumping the fuel pressure a couple of #'s at a time to see if it helps or gets worse. Have you checked the TPS with a multi-meter to make sure there are no dead spots where the voltage jumps? It should rise smoothly from about 0.995 vdc to around 5 vdc as you open the throttle.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #11
daman007
Registered Member

LX5LITER does have a point, the reason i gave my view is that sometimes when you bolt on knew parts and things get worse its sometimes helpful to work backwards if you have done all else to try and solve your problem wich it SOUNDS like you did, this is another reason that its good IF possible if you can do one upgrade at a time without making too much extra work foryourself, point being if you put your hesds on and all was good yhen you put your manifold and all was **** AND youve checked everything else then MAYBEE your manifold is not right OR could be a problem with it, its rare but it could happen. I know we all like to try and do a lot of the work ourselves but its hard to have all those tunning tools sitting in your garage. sometimes AND I MEAN sometimes YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BUCK UP AND GET A GOOD SHOP IF IF IF YOUVE DONE ALL ELSE AND NO LUCK.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
daman007
Registered Member

Actually i take that back, its easy to go to a shop and get them to build for you the fun is doing it yourself, so keep plugging away and im sure you can solve it . There has been almost every possible solution on these boards.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:07 PM   #13
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

daman007- Your point was off base cause he didnt just slap on a bigger intake he has a heads/intake package.

What would I know about tuning a 5.0. I mean modding the hell outta my speed density car was easy right?

Keep this up and I will have to drag your @ss into the smack house

Old 07-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #14
daman007
Registered Member

hey Dark5.0, like i said before its easy to type shutt on a keyboard, for all i know you took that pic off the net somewhere, actually wait i saw that exact pic last year in a mag, and for all i know your DADDY bought you the car for feeling guilty of draging your @ss to the smack house. GROW UP MR KNOW IT ALL, THESE BOARDS ARE FOR DISCUSING STUFF JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK I WAS WRONG SO FRICKING WHAT, LET THE GUY ASKING THE QUESTION DECIDE FOR HIMSELF IF THE INFO WAS VALID OR NOT.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 PM   #15
Nixon1
Registered Member

Your combo sounds pretty nice...do you have the Performer or Performer RPM heads? I'm assuming you got the 1.9 intake valve heads. Please tell me they're not the 2.02's. So this hesitation is the motor...NOT a delay in kickdown from the transmission or something right?

All I can chime in and say is..when I first got my car, it had a really bad hesitation. It made zip for power below 3000. It'd boil the tires to oblivion, mostly because they were bald, but it was seriously lacking go until 3000-3500, where it literally threw you straight back into the seat. The problem was I had several broken fuel injectors that were leaking fuel....so I had several cylinders with not only irregular spray patterns which was throwing the efficiency and burn out of whack, but the ends around the pintles were broken so they were constantly leaking fuel out, causing me to flood in lower rpms.

Just figured I'd mention that...hey...you never know. I'm actually really curious to see how this works out cause my new motor is getting a Cobra intake, Performer RPM heads, and an E-303 cam running with a stock MAF and stock 19 lb/hr injectors...I was told by several people that the 19's were enough, and others told me they'd be concerned about leaning out. I'm really curious to see how your car runs now since we'll be modded so similarly.

Good luck bro.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #16
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
hey Dark5.0, like i said before its easy to type shutt on a keyboard, for all i know you took that pic off the net somewhere, actually wait i saw that exact pic last year in a mag, and for all i know your DADDY bought you the car for feeling guilty of draging your @ss to the smack house. GROW UP MR KNOW IT ALL, THESE BOARDS ARE FOR DISCUSING STUFF JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK I WAS WRONG SO FRICKING WHAT, LET THE GUY ASKING THE QUESTION DECIDE FOR HIMSELF IF THE INFO WAS VALID OR NOT.
Oh, you got jokes huh.........You know that mag you got with my car in it turn to the next page and check out this picture.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:54 PM   #17
Simi Stang

Default Ha!

You guys are cracking me up!