MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
twilightcall
Registered Member

Default Pros/Cons to police fan clutch

I have heard about the police clutch. What is the diff. between it and a normal clutch. What are the pros/cons of it? Where can they be purchased? Thanks.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #2
Coupe50h
Registered Member

I forgot where i seen them on for sale, but before you look, i have/had a police fan, my car is an old dps car, i only had my car a couple months when my fan decided to break off under accelleration, and destroy my radiator.
now with that said, they are more heavy duty, i guess that means they last longer, cool a little better, my advice? and most people will disagree, get an electric fan.
I had mine 3 yrs(black magic), no problems, some will say you will overheat with an electric, well i run cooler than ever with mine, i also have the factory police oil cooler ect... so maybe you might look into a cheap electric fan, and possibly an oil cooler, i've never ran hot, only time it ran warm was when i had the clutch fan......good luck, i'll try and find the link where they sell the police parts.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:00 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

I have to admit, I would rather lose a little horsepower and keep my police cluth set up rather than go back to an electric fan. I had the stock set up for a while, and then bought a Black Magic because I heard nothing but good things about them. Threw it on, drove it, and within a week, had overheated. The leads for the control box broke off, and I didn't know until I pulled over to see why the car was overheating. With a clutch setup, so long as your engine is running, you know that fan is running. There is no question about whether it is working or not. I bought the police clutch and the heavy duty fan, and have yet to have any problems. I know the if the car starts to warm up a bit in traffic, all I have to do is get it moving a little, and the car cools off right away. The only con to the police clutch that I have noticed is that it's louder than normal stock setups. You can really hear that air moving through there. Just my $.02 worth.

Chris
Old 07-01-2003, 07:26 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

If you are going to stay with the fan clutch setup, go with the police one. I bought one before I switched over to my Black Majic electric fan. You can get the fan clutch at any autoparts store, that's wherer I got mine. I disagree with Chris_H... I think the Black Majic fan is awesome. It's possiable that he might have gotten a bad fan. I have gotten some bad parts before. I wired the fan so whenever my car is running the fan is on. I liked the idea of the fan being on all the time so I disabled the temp control on the fan and made my own .
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
twilightcall
Registered Member

I went to Pep Boys, Advanced etc. and none of them had a heavy duty clutch. They said they don't stock them.
What size electric fan did you get? Where else can I look for the police clutch and fan?
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I got mine at AutoZone before they turned into RicerZone
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twilightcall
I went to Pep Boys, Advanced etc. and none of them had a heavy duty clutch. They said they don't stock them.
What size electric fan did you get? Where else can I look for the police clutch and fan?
I got my special service fan clutch from PPI (Performance Parts Incorporated) for $99. They have a website.

As for an electric fan, please save yourself the headache and don't buy a cheap one. You can buy a NEW Lincoln MkVIII fan from Houston performance for about $140. You'll have to buy a fan controller, but you'll have OEM quality and maximum cooling.

Here's an interesting link for a MkVIII fan install:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7713/donsfan.htm

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_H
I have to admit, I would rather lose a little horsepower and keep my police cluth set up rather than go back to an electric fan. I had the stock set up for a while, and then bought a Black Magic because I heard nothing but good things about them. Threw it on, drove it, and within a week, had overheated. The leads for the control box broke off, and I didn't know until I pulled over to see why the car was overheating. With a clutch setup, so long as your engine is running, you know that fan is running. There is no question about whether it is working or not. I bought the police clutch and the heavy duty fan, and have yet to have any problems. I know the if the car starts to warm up a bit in traffic, all I have to do is get it moving a little, and the car cools off right away. The only con to the police clutch that I have noticed is that it's louder than normal stock setups. You can really hear that air moving through there. Just my $.02 worth.

Chris
well i wouldnt try to sell anyone on an electric fan, but i knew someone would disagree.
And why whould you want a fan running all the time? it would slow you down at the track, so why not have control over it? if something went wrong with the electric fan, then turn you engine off, it's that simple, and then see if you could fix it, if not, drive home, as long as you dont idle, you wont overheat?
if a fan breaks, it might have been defected, same with my clutch fan, maybe it was worn, but i would rather have a fan quit, then break off and destroy a radiator, or cowl hood, and cost me as much as 2 electric fans.
i dropped 250$ on my electric fan, and it better cool, and it DOES.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote