MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2001, 02:03 AM   #1
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs up PRO 5.0

I installed my Pro 5.0 and all I can say is it soooooooo awesome, I had a B and M ripper before, and it doesn't even hold a candle to the Pro 5.0. It's so good I would recommend selling whatever shifting you have and buying it, there is that much difference! 2nd to 3rd is straight up. I am really really impressed. And with my fat knob I have like the shortest shifter ever.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter,Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html?987369348700
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 12:49 PM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

Have you tried the Steeda triax shifter?
I've been trying to decide between the two, so far I'm heading toward the pro 5.0, I don't like the aluminum handle on the Steeda, but I havn't tried either of them.
429mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 01:16 PM   #3
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

They are basicaly the same shifter. They have the same feel and are both made with exceptional quality. Either will be a great addition to your stang. I have the tri-ax and love it. And don't worry about the aluminum handle, if you can manage to bend it you are in the wrong buisness. It looks awsome too. Light Em Up!!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!

[This message has been edited by NoSlow5.0 (edited 06-27-2001).]
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 01:17 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

Me to....it's a toss-up between the tri-ax and the pro 5.0, it seems everyone who owns them are hapy w/ either. I'm also thinking I should wait till I get my tremec trans first.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 06-27-2001, 02:04 PM   #5
DAVISinLA
Registered Member

I recently installed a PRO 5.0 and love it. 4-5 is still a little "notchy". Is that normal or is there an adjustment that can be made?

------------------
'87 5.0 LX Convertible 5-spd.

Headers, cat-back, Bilstein shocks & struts, springs, pulleys, K&N filter, full-length sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, 3.73s, Pro 5 shifter. Aren't these cars great?
DAVISinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:40 PM   #6
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

4th to 5th is notchy because 5th is overdrive and should not be used when racing.

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe

302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated

3.73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 03:56 PM   #7
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

4TH TO 5TH? You must be hauling balls if your tapped in 4th. =P PRO 5.0 all the way.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter,Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html?987369348700
Old 06-27-2001, 03:59 PM   #8
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Angry

I installed my tri-ax yesterday. I went for a test drive and everything was fine until today I missed 3rd gear. I thought it was supposed to prevent that? It might have been just me, but if it happens again, I'll adjust it (i guess) so i would go with the pro 5.0. Cuz at least ull know youre getting what u pay for.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible Cobra upper&lower, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s 14.4@100. (Sad, i know. i have stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 09:47 AM   #9
DAVISinLA
Registered Member

89Cobra/1bad:

Not everyone stops racing after the first 1/4 mile! Obviously a 4-5 shift is not quite as "critical" as 2-3. And even though 5th is an OD, with 3.73 gears I find it quite useful, even when driving "enthusiastically". So a smooth 4-5 shift is important to me.

------------------
'87 5.0 LX Convertible 5-spd.

Headers, cat-back, Bilstein shocks & struts, springs, pulleys, K&N filter, full-length sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, 3.73s, Pro 5 shifter. Aren't these cars great?
DAVISinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 01:19 PM   #10
bada$$lx

Cool

Would you guys recommend waiting for the shifter swap until my tranny goes after my s/c install......or should I get it, incase the tranny never goes (not) ?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 06-28-2001, 03:43 PM   #11
stangsrule
Registered Member

For what it is worth, I have driven with both the Tri-ax and the Pro 5.0 (I own the Pro 5.0 and a buddy let me borrow his Tri-ax) and I think they are pretty much the same and most people would be perfectly happy with either one. I am partial to the Pro 5.0 since I own it but did really like the Steeda handle and have been thinking about buying their handle to put on my shifter. Also a little tip for you guys with these shifters is to remember to just push straight up with the palm of your hand to avoid missing that 2-3 shift under pressure if you try to man-handle it you may very well miss the shift. It is designed with a spring pre-loaded to kick it over where it needs to be for that shift and if you try to man-handle it you can often end up pushing it to the left or right to much, causing you to miss the shift. So most likely if every thing is right and you miss third it is probably you and not the shifter.

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.

[This message has been edited by stangsrule (edited 06-28-2001).]
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:00 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

How in the heck can anyone miss 3rd with the PRO 5.0, I would think it's close to impossible. Well maybe because I've never missed third anyway, but come on guys, if you have missed third with the PRO 5.0 there is a problem with you.
Old 06-29-2001, 03:12 AM   #13
stangsrule
Registered Member

As I stated in my previous post it is very possible under the heat of battle to grab the shift knob like a baseball and slam it in 3rd, and guess what? If you do that you may move the shifter off it's intended course and miss the shift, that's why I suggest that you use the palm and not a fist. The springs will line it up perfectly and THEN you will NOT miss the shift. No need to insult people and tell them there is something wrong with them, it's not them it is may be their technique and that can be easliy fixed! I am only trying to help those that may not have that action perfected yet.

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 02:07 PM   #14
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Technique=them, and i was insulting nobody. But please step up and tell me if you have missed third with a PRO 5.0. I would just like to know.