MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question 10, 11, 12 sec Mustangs and no garages. Where do you store yours for the winter?

If I am going to build a 10-sec Mustang, which is my near future plan (on my way there), how do you take care of it when you're away from it say in college or out of state and have no garage? I need some suggestions, tips and tricks. All I can think of right now is to buy a cheap $600 carport (canopy thingy) for the car from Sam's or Walmart. Maybe put the car on blocks and store the wheels and tires in a storage shed? But I'd figure it needs to be cranked and run every month or so...

I need some rules of etiquette for a 10 -sec car. I'm gonna be new to this level (right now I'm in the mid 13s). Thanks...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

i store mine at my buddy's garage some and leave it on jackstands. Try checking into maybe renting a space at some garages or something. Do they have any places down there where you can rent a spot or something and store your car??
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
Saleen492
Registered Member

mine stays outside this is my only car and i gotta find another way around when it snows
Old 12-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
crazypete
Registered Member

Slap tire chains on it and drive it around in the snow! Auto palace used to carry them. I love the look on peoples faces. I remember one time up in amherst, there was this HUGE snowstorm and the city trucks were sliding around and here I was in the antithesis of a winter car: a carbed, rear wheel driven, noseheavy, lowered, geared up sportcar happily motoring around without a care. I love the way they sound on the highway too! CHWCHWCHW! I remember an 18 wheeler following me cause I was carving a path for him through the fresh virigin snow on rte 2 at 3 in the morning

Just paint the underside, oil/silicone/grease the entire bottom afterward and wash it off regularly.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:34 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

I would suggest if you dont have a house with a garage, you dont need a 10 second mustang.

But thats just thinking from a financial viewpoint, from a gearhead viewpoint, who cares, park it wherever you can.

Something to keep in mind....buy house, then build car...works out a lot better that way...trust me.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:03 PM   #6
Coupe Devil

Hey man, Check with places that store boats for the winter.. Alot of the time they will store a car or whatever as long as they get thier cash they dont care. Some are even heated.. And most you can go to at any time during the winter and work on it or something. That would allow you to go crank it every so often.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
I would suggest if you dont have a house with a garage, you dont need a 10 second mustang.

But thats just thinking from a financial viewpoint, from a gearhead viewpoint, who cares, park it wherever you can.

Something to keep in mind....buy house, then build car...works out a lot better that way...trust me.
This is good advice, although I know that HP takes priority over almost anything
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

Rent a storage unit for the winter,most have 12 x 15 spaces that will accomodate a Mustang,prolly about 40 bucks a month or so but your car stays dry and clean.
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
This is good advice, although I know that HP takes priority over almost anything
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's good advice... and this is honestly one of the reasons why I haven't yet ordered the long block from DSS. Plans involve grad school for fall of next year so that's gonna make things more interesting (in a bad way)....

...but a friend of mine with an 11-sec Mystic Cobra has only a driveway with one of those $300 canopy carports covering it. Pretty decent, so that's what I may just do... and he has a waaaay nicer paint job than I do...

...Car storage, I'll have to look into that... and security, $$$, etc...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Last edited by Fox Body; 12-08-2002 at 10:11 PM..
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:01 PM   #10
POISNUS
Registered Member

If you have a pretty serious motor, I wouldn't crank it over every so often, I would do a partial teardown. I would back off the rocker arms, if you have a large cam with big springs. I would pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders, and then put the plugs back in. Also since you should run all water in that car you should make sure you drain it down and put a antifreeze in it to the correct mixture. I would put it up on jackstands, as the cold concrete will ruin the compound in the slicks.

I have my 03 and my racecar in my girlfriends garage. I have to find another place for the 03 so I can work on the racecar.

Jason

1989 GT Racecar (11.0x's on motor and an aborted spray run of 10.27)

1997 F-350 Powerstroke
POISNUS is offline   Reply With Quote