MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Default Smelling gas.

For the past few weeks, I have been noticing a gas smell when I get out of my 95 GTS. I've checked the gas cap and it seems ok, and there are never any leaks, so I can't figure out where its coming from.

Today when I was dropping someone off at work, I noticed the smell with the car running as soon as he opened the door. What could it be?

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Gas smell.....

Well is your car stock?...........check to see if the PCV valve has pulled from the screen, also a disconnected air line from the smog pump to the exhaust could be off, how about a pin prick in the tank, is FPR vacuum hooked up...................bad cats?????????

Good luck...also your O2 sensors could be shot.

maybe a bad MAP sensor too.

Jay
Old 03-06-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

My car is stock, except for a Aeromotive FPR. I replaced my O2 sensors last fall, so I doubt they are gone already.

Its not a smell of partially burned gas from poor combustion, its raw fuel I'm smelling. Almost like a leak in the tank or something but I can't find one. Is there a vent in the top of the tank that could be stuck open?

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Old 03-06-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Gas Smell

How about the regulator, mine leaked once..........

Jay
Old 03-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #5
B2r3y
Registered Member

I had this probelm once after a tranny install and noticed the strong sent of gas and it turns out i had knocked one of my vaccum hoses off (nopt sure if this the FPR vaccum or what) but i stuck it back on and voila no more smell. Dunno if you have checked ur vaccums but thats just my .02.
Bryan
B2r3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #6
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

I checked my regulator it was dry, so I guess thats not it. I checked the hoses and they all seemed to be good, no vacuum leaks.

I folloed the smell with my nose and it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. Specifically from the passenger side rear tire area. Maybe I have a bad gas cap? It seems to be coming from under the car though. My gas filter? Could that be it, I didn't find any drips of anything.

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Old 03-10-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
raptor
Registered Member

Well I would have to say ...check the top of the tank at the sending unit sounds like you could have a pin hole in one of your lines. It could be small enough not to wet the bottom of the tank, but big enough to give you the smell. Just get under the car and stick your hand on top and see what you got. My 2cents
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #8
Scrapla
Registered Member

How about a leaky injector and maybe a line off the FPR cause I smelled raw gas in my car heavly at sometimes and it turned out to be two leaky injectors, just my .02

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom5oh
I folloed the smell with my nose and it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. Specifically from the passenger side rear tire area. Maybe I have a bad gas cap? It seems to be coming from under the car though. My gas filter? Could that be it, I didn't find any drips of anything.

Sgarzi's Machine Works