MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default No Spout Plug? How will this effect things?

So I finaly figured out what this spout is... the reason I could never find it is cause there's nothing plugged into it to unplug.

So now what I allways thought looked like a fuel injector plug is infact my spout connector with nothing plugged into it.

It must have been this way since I bought my car and with the stock stuff it ran beutifuly, though now that Ive installed new heads and cam and intake, it's been running crappy.. I wanted to check the timing to make sure it's set right..

So without this spout connected, am I not getting any computer controlled advance, is it all mechanical at this point?

Would this explain my runnign crappy with new parts where I used to run fine with teh stock stuff?
-as
Old 04-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Basically the spout connector tells the computer that it is alright to use its programmed timing curves, therefore it advances the timing in relation to throttle increase. Without the spout in place, the car will run at constant initial timing, or what you set the timing to. If you set your car to run at 14 degrees initial, it will stay at 14 degrees no matter how much throttle you give it. I have heard of people setting their cars to 28 degrees initial and having the car run great (using good gas of course) but I have never tried it. I have also HEARD that without the spout in place, it disables the computers rev limiter, but as to the truth to this rumor I have no idea.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Basically the spout connector tells the computer that it is alright to use its programmed timing curves, therefore it advances the timing in relation to throttle increase. Without the spout in place, the car will run at constant initial timing, or what you set the timing to. If you set your car to run at 14 degrees initial, it will stay at 14 degrees no matter how much throttle you give it. I have heard of people setting their cars to 28 degrees initial and having the car run great (using good gas of course) but I have never tried it. I have also HEARD that without the spout in place, it disables the computers rev limiter, but as to the truth to this rumor I have no idea.
You can advance your timing to about 26-28 and run without the spout, in short burst like at the track. It is not recommended that you do that and drive for prolonged periods of time. I would suggest getting one asap. If nothing else, you could rig something (conductive like foil) to stuff in there to close the circut until you get a plug, but I dont suggest you keep that in too long either. I dont think there is any inner workings in the plug, I think it just closes the loop. Someone can back me or shoot me down, I dont want to recommend you do that unless I can get some backing that it wont hurt anything.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Personally, I wouldnt do it either, but alot of guys running boost do it regularly, and drive it like that. And yes, allthe plug does is complete the circuit.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

That would explain why I thought this car wasnt as ballsy as I thought it shoudl be when I bought it... it allways ran nice but never really had all teh balls I thought it should.... anyway.. I'll try to dig one up at the dealer... worst case, maybe a junk yard..

thanx
-as
Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

The 4 cyl versions use the same spout plug. I had to remove the dist just to replace the cap/rotor (boy it was stuck) Even used 10° initial timing !! Probably any EEC IV Ford will have the same spout plug. Good time for the junkyard 5 finger discount.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:27 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

The spout plug is just like a jumper, completing the circuit, as mentioned before. No more, no less!
Old 04-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #8
Mach 1
Registered Member

I left mine out at the track once, and my times went down like .5 second. You definately want one in there
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:05 AM   #9
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I found out why I didnt have one... one side of the plug is broken, so it doesnt CLICK into place.. I went a junk yard and pulled one from a 3.8 taurus and 5.0 lincoln... they seemed identical other then the color.... the guy at the junkyard didnt charge me for them either.... I plugged it in and I tested it and it works though I cant really tell a difference, but I'll let the time slips do that.. I set my base at like 16 or so.. tough to tell exactly... though when you give it throttle its seems to get into the 30s
-as
Old 05-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #10
93GTDIN
Registered Member

run that beast and post some times! 14.5 is the time to beat.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
jruppert
Registered Member

Did you reset the computer after plugging it in? The computer might be use to not having it in there. I would reset and then let the computer relearn.
'94 GT, 347 stroker, AFR 185's, Trick Flow stage 2 Cam, Edelbrock upper and lower, 70mm Tbody, 77mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 255 lph pump, underdrive pulleys, 1 5/8 Motorsport Headers, king cobra clutch, tremec tko, 3.73 gears, flowmasters
jruppert is offline   Reply With Quote