MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Default overheating and 160 thermo

I have had recent overheating probs and I am wondering if it could possibly be fault of the 160 degree thermostat that i am currently utilizing. The engine usally always runs at 160 until it started to slowly slowly crawl up closer to 200 and beyond if i let it. I changed it and it seemed to be better for a month and now its doing it again. Even if im cruising at 70 during the day itll run at 180(never 160 anymore) for a long time then clowly creep up again. But night driving is fine, i seem to sit at 160 after the cali sun goes down.
What i suspect is that the 160 degree thermos all allow too much coolant flow so the coolant never has enough time to be cooled. Could this be a possibility. Seems to make sence to me.
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
Chrome cobras17x9 front, 17x10.5 rear, Hurst shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

mine did the same thing........i had a blown head gasket. i had no smoke or water in the oil for some reason though. i have heard about the coolant flowing too fast and not being cooled down.......i think its a bunch of bs. i ran my 89lx for 2 yrs on the street with no thermosat and it ran really cool. never had a overheating problem.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Your right, running 160* stat will not allow the coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to cool efficently. I run a stock 192* Robert Shaw stat and it works the best of any I have tried. What color is your car? Cause my black car draws the heat in big time during the day, but at night I run a little cooler too.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
stng87
Registered Member

I have absolutely no air bubbles in the coolant and the oil is perfect plus its time for a oil change anyway so its been in there for a while. However I did find something that would blow your mind upon an extremely close examination. THe spout leading into the radiator from the cap has a tiny crack running about 2/5 around the base.
I did my best to seal it up with jb weld and I guess that the next trip down the interstate 5 will be the test. If this is the problem then I dont think that I have ever had a tougher culprit to locate.

ANd by the way of course the car is Black
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
Old 01-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

That crack is most likely it. Since it lets out pressue your water will boil faster.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default 160 stat

Although I just read that you found a crack.......and that was probably your problem........BUT a common problem, not with EVERY stang, but SOME just won't run cool with a 160 degree stat and the reason is that the coolant never has a chance to stay in the radiator to be cooled, it, the coolant, is circulated constantly.....thus overheating.

A crack should show up as the gauge creeping up and down its range, similar to a LOW coolant level.

One of my favorite topics.....let me know how you make out....email me at gtsr515@yahoo.com.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Jay
Old 01-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
stng87
Registered Member

well I am about to embark on the trip to take my GF home which is about 25 miles so ill see how it acts. Really not the heat of the day anymore but at least ill see how it acts driving. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:40 PM   #8
Casper5.0
Registered Member

Sounds like you found the problem but here's one more little idea. If you have air in your coolant system for whatever reason it won't cool efficiently i had this problem for 3 or 4 months and solved it by drilling a small, i think 1/8" hole in the top of the thermostat to bleed the air out of the system i've had no cooling problems since. Good luck.

RYAN
94 cobra, steeda tri-ax, bbk longtubes, dr. gas x pipe, eec tuner, ultra flo's, 65 mm tb, underdrives, 75 mm MAF, homemade CAI, steeda #19 cam, Steeda LCA's, 3.73's, subframes

13.7 @ 103.03 before cam and gears
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:37 PM   #9
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default hole in stat

Yes, this sometimes works.......If you do it, make sure you install the hole at 12 o'clock when you install it.

Jay
Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
stng87
Registered Member

Well looks like its still gunna do it. Guess Ill pressure test the system today.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:06 PM   #11
stng87
Registered Member

did a pressure test and it looks like the system is holding pressure. However the needle will slowly receed but you have to watch it for minutes before it can be seen. i know it shouldnt lose any pressure at all but im suspicious that its the tester it self. I started the car with the tester was still on and it stayed the same not reading any increased pressure so its not likley to be a compression leak right?

Im going to change the oil, flush the cooling system and install a 180 thermo and see what happens. Man i hate the smell of coolant.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 PM   #12
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Maybe it's this??

Hey bud, do you have a blown head gasket or maybe a cracked head?

Take a look at the overflow tube where it goes into the overflow tank..............drain the overflow tank........disconnect the tube at the tank, fire the motor, rev it up and see if that tube is blowing all over creation..like a fire hose with nobody holding it.

If it does, it's a blown head gasket or cracked head(s) or both?????????? Hope not.

Also, do you have a correct mixture of coolant and water?

Good Luck, Camaro's suck

Jay
Old 01-31-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
stng87
Registered Member

well i changed the thermo and for the first road test, it seemed to stay at 200 without fluctuating. I even stopped it and let it sit and run, still stayed right at 200. I would like that but it is a 180 thermo. WTF, are they that inaccurate sometimes? Runs fine and starts easy.

Gtsr515, havent checked the hose yet, have to do that tomorrow.
thanks. We'll see how it goes tomorow.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:03 AM   #14
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: overheating and 160 thermo

Quote:
Originally posted by stng87

What i suspect is that the 160 degree thermos all allow too much coolant flow so the coolant never has enough time to be cooled. Could this be a possibility. Seems to make sence to me.
Thats an urban myth stng ... the better the coolant circulates in the system the better it cools ... the only reason you have a thermostat is to bring the motor up to operating temp as quickly as possible, and keep it there.
Go to the link and read ... these guys know more about cooling systems than the law allows.
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/htm...t/techtip3.asp
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:58 AM   #15
stng87
Registered Member

Ok I have the 180 degree thermostat in and it runns regigiously at 200. Its from Kragen. Do their thermos have a bad rep for being inaccurate?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:10 AM   #16
stng87
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I have the 180 degree thermostat in and it runns regigiously at 200. Its from Kragen. Do their thermos have a bad rep for being inaccurate?
anyone know?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #17
dragstang86
Registered Member

Colder the thermostat the cooler the car is going to run. Until recently i didnt have a thermostat at all in my car and it ran very cold. Now i have a 160 in it and it runs between 160- 175 and stays 160 on the highway. I have an autometer mechanical gauge so the readings are accurate not guesstimates. I had pulled my thermostat because i blew a head gasket and was waiting on new heads and the car ran too hot with the blown head gasket and the thermostat but ran very cold with no thermostat. Hope this helps.
306, AFR 165's 58cc, E303, 1.6 roller rockers, 70mm throttle body, cobra intake, bbk fenderwell, bbk longtubes, x-pipe, flowmasters, pullies, msd 6a, crane ps-92, stock MAF sensor, electric fan, No AC, No air pump, flaming river quick ratio rack

C-4, 3500 stall, 373's, aluminum driveshaft

SSM Lift bars, , sub frame connectors, strut tower brace

12.57 @105.12mph w/ 1.686 60ft before bbk longtubes (with equal shorties)
-----------------------------------------
86 tube chassis coupe - the trailor queen
dragstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:36 AM   #18
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
thermostats are to keep the engine heat at least at the thermostats design temp ... it doesn't keep it from getting hotter than that, just keeps it from getting colder .. if you have a 160 then everytime the temp gets below 160 the thermo closes and stops the flow of coolant until it gets back up above 160 ... if it gets above the thermostat design temp, thats a whole nother problem ... unless the thermostat is stuck closed, or restricted then it has nothing to do with the engine temp getting to high.
Your 200 degree operating temp could be a bad thermostat or an inaccurate guage reading, or an inaccurate thermostat, or anyone of the other million reasons for overheating problems
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:49 AM   #19
tommyinla
Registered Member

here are some hints:

1. the needle on the pressure tester should not move - you should have not trouble keeping that thing at 16 pounds or so for an extended period of time...

2. check your fan clutch. maybe it's bad

3. could be a bad temperature sensor giving a false reading

btw, i don't get that air-trapped-in-the-system thing... the entire system circulates and the upper hose is above the thermostat... how could air possibly get stuck in the system?

67 Mustang 289. Holley Red electric fuel pump, 4 speed toploader, dual exhaust, torq thrust IIs (real soon!)
tommyinla is offline   Reply With Quote