MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Default Fuel Leak

I have a fuel leak at the connection of the fuel input pipe and the gas tank. There seems to be a rubber ring that is just on the pipe and not against the tank like it should. How do I fix this leak and where can I find a replacement. THanks
289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
91redgt
Registered Member

I have the same problem and when i go around a turn or fill the tank up to much it spills out. Any help on this topic would greatly be aprreciated.
91redgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

You'll have to go to Vatozone or your local parts store and get a new filler tube seal/grommet/O-ring thingy.

Next you'll have to get the back end on jackstands or a lift and remove the bolts securing the tank straps. The straps are hinged, so the bolts are only on the forward side of the strap and they can be fairly tough to budge. Also be sure to blow off/clean the area around the filler tube/tank junction before you lower the tank. Compressed air works great to make sure you don't dump a bunch of crud in the tank. Have someone help you balance/lower the tank and make sure it's fairly close to empty. Much easier to handle and safer. As you lower the tank, the filler tube will slide out. You won't be able to lower it all the way as the electrical/fuel line connections aren't long enough. Anyway, just pull out the old grommet and replace it with the new one. I'd use something along the lines of WD-40 to slicken it up so you don't tear it and to help the filler tube slide in easier and put everything back together.

I had the same problem after I swapped fuel pumps. When I put the tank back on, I apparently crimped the old grommet. I haven't fixed it yet, but I don't really fill 'er up that often.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote