MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
Vector
Registered Member

Default Sorry for filling up the board...

But I've got lots more questions . I've got a truck with the 302, and a few things about this motor are it has a lousy cam and it's speed density. What could be the cheap cheapest way to convert to mass air on this thing? I want to convert to mass air because I also want to replace the cam with a hydraulic roller cam, like the B303 from ford racing.

My second question is how much of the valve train will I need to replace when going with this cam? It is 224 intake/exhaust duration and .480 int/ex lift @ .050". I was running it on dyno 2000 and just the cam in the stock motor with small-tube headers and mufflers it produced over 100 horsepower. I went from 180 to about 290. Do these sound like realistic results? I don't know how many of you have used dyno 2000 before, but it seems pretty close--whenever I enter in manufacturers combinations the numbers always closely resemble their dyno results. If this is true then it certainly seems like a cam swap should be the first thing I do!
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: Sorry for filling up the board...

OK, 2 ways to go about the SD/MA conversion. Junkyard (read as: cheaper) or buy a kit. www.google.com for the junkyard version, plan on doing some reading, and don't believe everything you read. www.holcombmotorsports.com for the kit variety. I'm sure there are other places selling the kit, but that's the one that comes to mind as I type this.

Dyno 2000 is fairly realistic. I've found the the program "errors" on the low side as a default, which usually leads to some pleasent surprises. The downfall of the program is that here in the real world, things don't usually work like that. The program has to assume that all conditions are optimal, and let's face it, they're not. Our #2 car put 545 flywheel ponies on the dyno (chassis dyno, guesstimating tranny loss) and Dyno 2000 said it was 530.

Think of it as an alternative BUIDLING tool, not a tuning too. Want to see what this cam will do? Plug it in and see. Intake? Plug it in and see. It let's you see where your weak point is without throwing tons of cash at your engine, only to find that it landed in the wrong spot.

Basically, Dyno 2000 will get you in the ballpark, but don't take it as gospel.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Default Re: Sorry for filling up the board...

Shopping list:
1)M-12071-F302 Ford Racing Computer kit
(computer for T5, MAF meter 55MM and hose)$350 at Diversified
Alternative is A9L computer, F1ZZ MAF and hose)
$75-150 used for A9L, F1ZZ MAF is also used on 93-94 TBird V6)
2)BAP sensor ($20-40 used, $115 new)
3)4-pin pigtail for MAF about $30.00 (need good instructions with this kit)