MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
89 ATI
Registered Member

Default Cam suggestions

I am needing a good street cam for my N/A setup. I have AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock performer intake, 1.7 rockers and stock lower end. I was going to get a Crane 2031 but every where I go they are out of stock. Let me know what you guys are running.
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

The 2031 cam sucks, get a custom camshaft or an Alphabet cam from motorsport.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:28 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

I just put in the TFS stage 1 and I like it. Don't have any numbers on it but the idle is rough enough that noone would ever think the car is stock but also very streetable. I like the split duration intake/exhaust and it pulls real hard in the higher rpms. Better price than any of the FRPP cams too.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:46 AM   #4
Mustanguy

Get a custom ground cam made specifically for your combination,you'll end up with better performance than you'll get with just choosing a cam from "off the shelf"
Old 02-20-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

You might want to look into a Lunati cam. I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but they are a little pricy. Go to www.lunaticams.com They have an online cataloge for ya. You can even call Jim Cook himself and ask him what he thinks would be good for you. I called him and he set me up with a BAD @$$ cam! Once I found out what cam part number I wanted, I went to Summit and ordered it from them. It was about 30 bucks cheaper from Summit....go figure. Also, get the valve springs that Lunati recomends for that cam and install them.

If you have any further questions, PM me
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

if you look at AFR's website they do all there testing with comp cams..they said there heads make the best power with higher lift and not so crazy duraton..i mean if thats what they use dont you think you should also..or a custom is good if ya got the $$

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
89 ATI
Registered Member

I just ordered the comp cams XE270HR. That is what the guy at AFR recomended.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
306 BLUE GT
Registered Member

I run a B cam on my 306 N/A setup. I have GT-40 aluminum heads ported, polished, and bigger valves, 1.7 roller rockers. i think the cam is fine...it has a decent idle and has good power all the way through the rpm range. If you are willing to spend the money go custom, but if not go with a model cam everyone can vouch for.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #9
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, the best cam for the money, has to be the F303 Cam. My mom, yes my mom, has it in a 95 GT with a stock block, 6lb powerdyne, short tube headers, F Cam, everything else on motor stock, 2 1/2 off road pipe, flowmasters, and 3.73's and the car will absolutely FLY!!! I drove it the other night and it'll pin you back in the seat!! So if i was you that's the cam i would choose. Hope this helps.

Eric
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:12 PM   #10
gtsr515
Registered Member

Not to knock the previous reply, but if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, A custom cam will out perform ANY alphabet cam by 10 horsepower for about 100 dollars more.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:04 PM   #11
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Quote:
Not to knock the previous reply, but if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, A custom cam will out perform ANY alphabet cam by 10 horsepower for about 100 dollars more.
very true.

also, there is no BEST individual cam. It's all in the combo. Yes, there are cams that work well with a number of combinations, but a custom cam ground with that specific combo in mind will eat it for lunch.

BUT, since I'm cheap and havent even come close to finalizing my combo, i found a B cam for $100 and slapped it in there yesterday. Like said above, it does have good power all the way up and a pretty good idle.

and Craig, thats gonna be an awesome setup. A friend of mine has those heads but with a perf RPM intake and a Ed Curtis cam, needless to say its gonna haul ***. as will yours, hopefully take me for a ride again?
Old 02-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #12
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Call, fax or e-mail your cam company of choice. Just send them this info;

Make, model, & year:
Vehicle Weight:
Engine:
Transmission:
Differential Gear:
Tire Size:
Intended Usage:

Engine Type:
Engine Size:
Bore:
Stroke:
Connecting Rod Length:
Compression Ratio:
RPM Operating Range:
Maximum RPM:

Intake System:
Exhaust System:
Cylinder Heads:

Include info about any mods you have made, its helpful to have flow data on your heads and intake if they've been modified, also indicate what type of fuel control you have (carb or injected) and what mods you've done there also (factory or aftermarket or factory modified).

also include info on your current cam and lifter type.

That should be about enough to get you through and they can suggest a camshaft from there.

Cam companies have about a kajillion cam profiles on hand. your combo is probably out there somewhere (unless every single peice has been modified or is custom) and they'll have a profile for it.

I sent the same info off to Comp Cams and indicated that I would have prefered a custom cam for my 347 (11:1 motor with AFR heads and a Vic 5.0 intake with 1-3/4 headers), Interestingly they suggested I use the big dog nitrous hp cam, and I don't plan on using any sort of power adder??
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #13
Roadwarrior5.0
Registered Member

a while ago i decided to get a new cam and i decided that i wanted to go for a cam which will give me some higher revs. I got a comp cams extreme energy cam and love it. along with edelbrock performer rpm heads, performer rpm air gap, edelbrock 600cfm carb, 1.7 roller rockers and a load of other goodies this cam was good for the 350hp and 360lb ft im making on the dyno. But if i had the choice i would go to a custom grind cam. You just cant beat a cam customized for your combo.
Roadwarrior5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:33 AM   #14
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

Another vote for a custom cam.

I will be going with a FTI cam, made by Ed Curtis. AFR highly recommends his cams. He designed a cam perfect for my combo. Boost, AOD, AFR Heads, ect... his cam is capable of well over 400RWHP.

There are users on Corral, Ed's main hangout, that gained 20-30 RWHP after using one of his cams.

If you are wondering, here are the specs.
112LSA
498/511 - Perfect for AFR 61CC heads and boost

It will sound a little rougher then stock, but not much. For a blown street setup, you do not want huge duration.

For your ride, I would e-mail Ed, and see if he can help you out. His cams go for $300-350

Ian

My WebSites:
VortechPower.com - Brand new site for Vortech users!
NOVIPOWER.COM - Devoted to the performance of the NOVI supercharger
STANGPOWER.COM - A small community based in Canada for Mustangs
MORE WebSites Coming soon

PLEASE NOTE: I am not an affiliate (nor do I work for) any Mustang parts retailers - I create informational Mustang WebSites
88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:31 PM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88COBRA
Another vote for a custom cam.

I will be going with a FTI cam, made by Ed Curtis. AFR highly recommends his cams. He designed a cam perfect for my combo. Boost, AOD, AFR Heads, ect... his cam is capable of well over 400RWHP.

There are users on Corral, Ed's main hangout, that gained 20-30 RWHP after using one of his cams.

If you are wondering, here are the specs.
112LSA
498/511 - Perfect for AFR 61CC heads and boost

Ian

What are the duration @ .050 specs on that cam molsen man?
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:33 AM   #16
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

Hey MACH! Did you ever get my e-mail regarding the torque converter? I just figured you were mad, and did not reply

Anyhow, here are the specs:

@.004" @.020" @.050" lobe 1.6 rocker
292* 243* 213* .3087" .494"
305* 252* 222* .3190" .511"

Ian

My WebSites:

PLEASE NOTE: I am not an affiliate (nor do I work for) any Mustang parts retailers - I create informational Mustang WebSites
Old 02-27-2002, 02:14 AM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

No, I never did get your e-mail, and figured you just blew me off. I thought you would have least let me know that you werent interested any more, and was a little pissed.

That is really a mild cam at 213 intake duration at .050. Hows it running with the cam and the blower?

then again, Im just looking at one number for comparison and it might not be as mild as it appears, especially being a custom grind.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:49 AM   #18
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Im thinking of what cam also? so much for getting a crane cam, i thought the 2031 was good, anyhow, the trickflow cam sounds tough, i need a good n/a cam?? what is good for n/a....a mtorsport cam?
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:07 AM   #19
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

Sorry Chris, I did send an e-mail later that week telling you why I was no longer interested. I found the e-mail in my sent, but I have been having problems with my mail server, I did not mean to just ignore you. I am going with a Edge Racing Converter, the owner asked me to test one of their newest products, I agreed.

The cam is not installed, all of my mods are just sitting here. Teh car is stored for a couple more months. The cam was made for a supercharged, fully loaded, AOD car. Ed Curtis explained to me why it was so tame. First, he said a rough idle and a street blower is not a good idea, then he said I wanted a cam with a nice easy duration. I do not know if you remember, but I was going to install a E303 in my car. This cam is quite a change from that!

Lucky for me Ed had this cam sitting around, it was used in a dyno pull, and so he sold it to me cheap. I was just lucky it was made for my car. The car that it was installed on made over 400RWHP with a 6lb blower.

Ian

My WebSites: