MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

Question Hey, you guys with BBK longtube headers...coupla ???

Made up my mind to go with the BBK longtubes and ordered them today, along with the matching short off-road H-pipe.
What are your expieriences with installing them??? How do they fit in a 5spd. car? Any major problems? How does the H-pipe fit and align with the headers and flow tubes? If anyone has had both, how is the performance compared to JBA shorty? Also ordered a King Cobra clutch to replace the stock one. Is this one a good choice???? Really trying to shave off a couple of tenths here, any feedback on these parts is appreciated! Can't wait for the brown truck to show up!

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 10:20 PM   #2
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

Nobody???!!
Old 01-15-2001, 02:02 AM   #3
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

I have the MAC long tubes.
But from my experience, you should replace the motor mounts while your at it.
Also get the foil looking heat sleeve for the clutch cable.(not sure what it's called)
My buddy had a clearance problem w/ the steering shaft and his BBK's....I didn't
He had to get the skinny one.
Performance is OUTSTANDING...you will not regret it.
You may need to elongate the o2 sensor wires.
Other than that install is a breeze( once the headers are on)
Not sure how much you drive your car, but i reccommend deleting the smog while your at it.
It gives you soooo much more room to bolt the headers in on the pass. side.
Plus no screwing around w/ the pipe going to the h-pipe.....good luck

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 06:48 PM   #4
Nutty 5.0
Registered Member

Talking

I have them and they fit good. Keep in mind that is WAS necessary for me to unbolt/loosen motor mounts and jack up motor a little to fit. I had help with 2 friends to put them in. They took them out of a friends car, sold them to me, and helped me put them in, so I was screwing around with other things, and didn't see how all was done. They had a system that made it easy. One side goes from above (I think, but don't quote, the driver side. And the pass. side from below.
As for fit in 5 speed, no rubbing or hitting anything. BBK makes a good product. I have the cat h-pipe, so yours should fit that much better. The flowtubes (flowmaster 3 chamber) fit fine. Keep in mind that you will lose some ground clearance. The headers come down low, but tolerable. The price you pay for longtubes! BTW, I gained alot of torque and some top end back when I had stock heads and cam and no blower.
I had Mac equal length shortys before, so I guess that is a close comparison. I definately noticed a pleasant difference. Smog pump removal does make life easier, but will work fine with long tubes.Sound and performance wise. Don't know about your clutch. I have a RAM.

------------------
-Nutty 5.0
93 GT Red/Grey
S trim, Edelbrock 6037 heads, E cam, BBK longtubes w/cats, 3 chamber Flowmasters, BBK Alum. underdrive pullies, Cobra intake, Accel fuel regulator, FMS 70mm t.b., 73mm C&L meter, ram air, 1.7 roller rockers, Mac upper and lower strut tower braces, FMS lowering springs, Factory Five upper and lower control arms, Speedware Cobra R 17X9 wheels, 3.73 gears and ram air hood, Cobra wing, and grille insert.
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

Thanks guys. Nutty 5.0...I have the same heads as you, although with a B-303 cam, etc. and am glad to hear you picked up a few ponys over the shortys. Hopefully I will too. Also I don't have any smog pump or emissions stuff left on the car so there should be some extra room for pass side clearance. I'm kinda worried about starter and steering shaft problems though from what others say.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Old 01-17-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

I noticed a small difference whne i replaced my HD with a king Cobra. I grabed stronger and it felt more secure on hard launches. A deff advantage. The install was a bit of a pain though. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote