MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
NYstang
Registered Member

Lightbulb what's next

Car is an black 87 Mustang GT 5.0L, speed density, 5 speed, factory T-top, grey interior. 108,000 miles. All original except for BBK cold air with k&n filter and Flowmaster exhaust(and I changed the strip color from red to yellow). I've had it for 10 years and now it's time to modify. My main goal is a summer daily driver that will blow away any rice-burner, fast and furious wanna be. Track time will be few and far between. I have $2000 to play with. What's the next logical step? Where do I start? I'm looking for bang for the buck. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:05 PM   #2
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default blower

Either a Paxton Novi 1000 or a entry level Vortech. Both are around $1800 complete and require no further mods to your motor (as long as it is in reasonably good shape).
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I don't know about putting a blower on a motor with 108,000 miles, even if it is in good shape.

First thing I would do is get gears. Definitely the best bang for your buck modification out there.

Even if your motor is running strong, I would think about saving some of that 2 grand you got to play with for a future new motor or rebuild. Maybe it is just me, but I would be leary of throwing too many extras at a motor with 108,000 miles on it.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

it's a crap shoot.. I did heads intake and cam to a 100K motor... and I dont expect it last more then 20k at wich point I'll rbuild it or something... but things like heads dont go bad so you reuse them... even the cam could be reused if it's in good shape... so you could certainly do it and hope for the best... worst case you'll need to rebuild it anyway... but teh supercharger will be reused
0-as
Old 06-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

True, most anything that will be put on it will be able to be used again. You could always just add intake and some of the simpler parts to install to this motor and then re-use them too, but I wouldn't want to bother changing something like the cam and then be left hoping to get 20,000 miles out of the motor. IMO, I would just rather wait and do the cam at the time of the rebuild, but that is because I see it as something a little more complicated that just a bolt on part.

It is really up to you. You can add anything you want to the motor, including nitrous or a blower, but just have realistic expectations on how the long the motor will last afterwards.

Gears are still a good idea though !

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
NYstang
Registered Member

Default Re: blower

Quote:
Originally posted by Hozer 88GTConv
Either a Paxton Novi 1000 or a entry level Vortech. Both are around $1800 complete and require no further mods to your motor (as long as it is in reasonably good shape).

I didn't expect anyone to say get a blower. I'll look into it though, but not sure if I want to spend all my money in one place.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
NYstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7
I don't know about putting a blower on a motor with 108,000 miles, even if it is in good shape.

First thing I would do is get gears. Definitely the best bang for your buck modification out there.

Even if your motor is running strong, I would think about saving some of that 2 grand you got to play with for a future new motor or rebuild. Maybe it is just me, but I would be leary of throwing too many extras at a motor with 108,000 miles on it.
Thanks. Gears was one thing I was thinking about. Since I drive 60 miles to work, all highway, do you think 373's would be too much?
The motor is in great shape and still runs strong, most of those miles are highway miles. I actually was under the impression that 100,000 was really nothing. I've seen guys at the track with 150-200,000 miles that never did a rebuild with lots of mods. Is a rebuild really not that far off?
Old 06-13-2003, 07:56 PM   #8
NYstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChunkFunky
it's a crap shoot.. I did heads intake and cam to a 100K motor... and I dont expect it last more then 20k at wich point I'll rbuild it or something... but things like heads dont go bad so you reuse them... even the cam could be reused if it's in good shape... so you could certainly do it and hope for the best... worst case you'll need to rebuild it anyway... but teh supercharger will be reused
0-as
Thanks. Is 108 really that much. I don't want to start mods and then have to rebuild in 20,000 miles. I thought I'd get alot more than 130,000 out of it before a rebuild. Should I really be thinking about a rebuild, is it not worth it to mod an engine with 108,000?
Old 06-14-2003, 08:41 AM   #9
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

it's a crap shoot... could last longer, could last a week.... I just said 20k as a random number. If I lasts that long, I'll be happy... I have to drive 3000 miles to california next month, if it gets me there without blowing up I'll be happy... if it blows up on the way, I wont be happy... I think it'll be fine... the cam, even though not a BOLT ON, is easy enough to install if you have the intake off... for 139 bucks you can pick upa stage 1 cam from TFS..I replaced my heads intake an cam all at once so I cant say if IT made teh difference, but it certainly helped. THey all work as a team... though you say you dont wanna spend 1800 in one place... but lets be honest, we're talking dollar per HP ratio... you might even be better off with the blower... ease of install and gain of HP per dollar is probably higher then the heads and intake and stuff... but again its all reusable... so when I blow this motor I'll be dropping an S TRIM in it for sure... so then I'll have heads intake cam and then a blower... it's just gets added to the pile
-as
Old 06-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #10
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

They did an article in muscle mustangs awhile back where they put a superchager on a gt with 147k miles...

dont know how long the motor lasted though...
Old 06-14-2003, 10:00 PM   #11
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default mild boost...

Mild boost (i.e. 8 lbs or so) does not adversely affect a daily driver even with decent mileage on it as long as it's in relatively good shape.

If the oil looks good, compression is still good, and temperature stays nice, I'd go for it.

Don't forget, it's just a motor. I think it is interesting to see people become timid driving their vehicles after they have put so much time into it. I understand, but it is still just a motor, meant to be driven.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #12
NYstang
Registered Member

Default thanks

Hey Hozer 88GTConv

I going to seriously look into the blower. It does make sense. I could bolt one on and then do some of the other things I wanted to do over the next year to be ready next summer. With the blower I'll get instant power and heck it the engine goes then I get it rebuilt, it has to be done someday if I really want to keep the car another 10 years. The engine is in great shape so I should be fine for a while. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #13
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Hell, I am going to put a 64mm Turbo on a 96k 1993 shortblock in about 6 weeks!!

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote