MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Cobra or Trick Flow intake with GT40P heads?

Hey gang,

Just ordered my GT40P heads and I am trying to figure out seeing they cost the same which intake would work better. Trick Flow street or the Cobra intake. My sig is below but is changing slightly, getting MAC longtubes for my P heads and everything else should stay the same, I am also looking into the Compucar Nitrous in a bag system, would either of these be okay, I wouldn't run the juice anymore than 50-75, I am pretty conserative on the streets, and would barely play with the nitrous. Also would I still be okay with the Nitrous and stay with my 19# injectors, I heard they were good to about 350hp as long as I had the 190 fuel pump. Sorry getting long...Thanks

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Josh91
Registered Member

Either intake will work just fine. The TFS intake has more HP capability, but the Cobra isn't maxed out until around 400 or so. The 19#'ers will be fine as long as you have enough pump (255) and an AFPR. I got my Cobra because I found it used and it was a good deal. $300 for intake and FMS 65mm TB. They can be found used for great prices. The other good thing about the Cobra is that it has a built in EGR spacer, so that is money saved over the TFS intake.

------------------
1991 Mustang GT - Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, GT-40P heads, Crane 2031 cam, Crane 1.7rr, Built AOD, Art Carr 2400 non-lockup converter, Transgo shift kit, BBK chrome cold air, FMS 'P' headers, Pacesetter off-road H, BBK aluminum pulleys, 2-C Flows w/ dumps, 4.10's, Steeda STB, for now...

The Original GT-40P Tech Page
Josh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 08:04 PM   #3
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

My experience has been this: I went up from a GT-40 Intake(Same runners as the Cobra, slightly more out-of-the box power though)to a TFS Street Intake. Made lots more power, and I went up almost 3 mph in the quarter, but I also added a 70mm TB up from stock. I think the main reason I saw such a big jump, is that I have bigger and higher flowing heads than you, that the intake matches my heads, and I had a stock TB. I think for your setup The TFS will be best, because it is proven to make more power all over, and is only $65 more if you have a aftermarket FPR.(TFS SH Intake-$395, Spacer to allow FPR to fit, $50, +shipping)

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14
TFS Street Heat Upper & Lower(Black), TFS TW heads, TFS 3/8" Phenolic Spacer, E303 Cam, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK 70mm TB, FMS 70mm MAF, MAC 1 5/8" Equals, Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2" cat back, Bassani 2 1/2" Off-Road X-Pipe, MSD 6AL Ignition w/ MSD TFI Coil, Home made Ram Air, Racecraft Suspension

60ft: 2.158
330ft: 5.396
660ft: 8.271 @ 91.43

SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 08:18 PM   #4
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

to add to that...i got an extrude honed cobra upper and lower for $475
You will pay that for a new one w/ tax.
Also i spray 100 on 19's w/ a 190

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 01:07 AM   #5
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Since when do you need a spacer for a FPR? I have never heard of this and second after reading a post about the Nitrous in a bag kit, I am really thinking of getting it, would either still work as well with some mild nitrous application, 50-75 max? Another good point is about the egr spacer, the Cobra intake doesn't need one, one less thing to worry about..I saw that the Trick Flow intake also come in all black with Trick Flow in silver looked sweet. Any ideas?

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Old 01-24-2001, 01:52 AM   #6
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

The cobra would match the gt-40 heads better, but the tric flow is always good too.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 01:53 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

What size are the ports on the heads? The cobra intake has smaller ports than the trick flow, where the lower meets the intake port on the head. Get the intake manifold that matches the ports on your heads the closest, as long as it isnt bigger. If the trick flow lower has bigger openings than the openigs on the gt40 heads, this would be a poor setup.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 02:06 AM   #8
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

yep mach1

Im getting a cobra intk too, but i've talked to a guy that had the TF, and said it killed his low end, and the edelbrock is better.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 07:57 AM   #9
Casper5.0
Registered Member

Cool

I would also look into the MAC intake it's a revised edelbrock performer intake that flows a little better for only $299. It's really a steal for the performance you get. It probably wouldn't have the flow potential of the TFS intake but i'm pretty sure it would outflow the cobra. The price is really the thing that can't be beat. Just another option. There's also the explorer intake, if you can find one of those used it'll save you some money, they're very similiar to the cobra intakes.

------------------
90Gt, offroad h-pipe, flowmasters, underdrive pulleys, rear disc brakes, 3.73 gears, tri-ax shifter, all kinds of stereo, world class t-5, subframe connectors
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 09:35 AM   #10
Josh91
Registered Member

The Cobra's runners are almost an exact match to the P heads. I checked mine and is almost perfect (Fel-Pro 1250 gasket). I think the runners on the TFS would be too big unless you want to do any grinding on the heads. I think overall the Cobra costs less (find used for $300 and has built-in EGR) and is a better match to your parts. There is a lot to be gained in having matched parts.

------------------
1991 Mustang GT - Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, GT-40P heads, Crane 2031 cam, Crane 1.7rr, Built AOD, Art Carr 2400 non-lockup converter, Transgo shift kit, BBK chrome cold air, FMS 'P' headers, Pacesetter off-road H, BBK aluminum pulleys, 2-C Flows w/ dumps, 4.10's, Steeda STB, for now...

Old 01-24-2001, 09:56 AM   #11
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Yeah, everything you guys have said are good options. I think one of the reasons I have so much low end torque(dyno shoed about 320@3500, and peaking at 337@4600)is because my heads really woke up with my new intake, allowing them to breathe to their fullest, and becaust I added runner length with my spacer. 89-You will only need a spacer if you have a billet FPR, or any other big FPR...crane and holley FPR's will do fine. Look at it this way. GT-40P heads flow about 200-215 cfm stock at best. The Cobra flows 205-215 cfmExtrude honed flows about 245-250 at best, GT-40 around 225, and the TFS Street Heat flows around 245 cfm stock...Your heads will only flow as much as the intake will allow, but you don't want too much on the intake side, or you will fall on youe @$$. If you plan on keeping the P's, and never porting them, Go with the Cobra, also with the cobra, you cannot upgrade the EGR size. But if you are gonna upgrade TB and EGR, or heads, IMHO, go with the TFS.

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14
TFS Street Heat Upper & Lower(Black), TFS TW heads, TFS 3/8" Phenolic Spacer, E303 Cam, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK 70mm TB, FMS 70mm MAF, MAC 1 5/8" Equals, Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2" cat back, Bassani 2 1/2" Off-Road X-Pipe, MSD 6AL Ignition w/ MSD TFI Coil, Home made Ram Air, Racecraft Suspension

Old 01-24-2001, 12:22 PM   #12
Shotgun28
Registered Member

SaleenGTS,

upgrade the T/b and EGR to what, from 65 to 70? I didn't understang your statment. I am leaning towards the Cobra, however the guy at the speed shop said to get the Trick Flow track heat. Okay, just another intake to ponder, smiling. One question I would really like answered is would any of these applications work with mild nitrous applications 30-100 max? Please let me know.
Regarding the MAC intake I am very skeptic to the quality of the intake. But if it gets good numbers and gets the thumbs up from 5.0 and the other leading Stang mags, then I could always sell what I have and get it. Anyt ideas or thoughts about the Nitrous?

------------------
Old 01-24-2001, 02:54 PM   #13
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that if you wanted to upgrade your TB from the 65(I think the cobra came stock with those) it wouldn't do any good, since the EGR is built in, and you can't bore it any over 65. I upgraded up from a stock 58 to a BBK 70mm, and noticed a huge difference with my TFS Intake. If you are only srteet racing, I would not recommend the track heat intake, you will lose a lot of bottom end, and the P heads aren't great high rpm heads compared to aluminum bigger valved heads. If you are going with only a 100 shot of nos, go with a TFS, Performer, or a EH GT-40 and a bigger TB.

also IMHO, MAC products are mediocre at best.

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14

Old 01-24-2001, 03:01 PM   #14
Josh91
Registered Member

I still stand behind my recommendation of the Cobra. Based on what you are going to do, the Cobra is the best match to your parts. Who cares if the EGR spacer is only 67mm, if you ran a 70mm TB on a car with your setup it'd fall on its face down low, which is where you really want the power at in a street car. Besides, if the TFS intake runners are bigger than the intake ports on the heads, you better get out the Dremel and start grinding. I have never seen a TFS intake in person, so I don't know how big the runners are. IMO, a street car with P heads and a Cobra intake is a great match.

------------------

Old 01-24-2001, 03:26 PM   #15
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Josh and SaleenGTS, you and everyone have been very helpful and I thank you for that. I called a few other speed shops in the area and everyone of those shops said the Cobra intake with the P heads, and they will as Josh said match up to each other well. As long as the Cobra can take the added Nos, I will order it later this week, need to check my money for my project car,I haver to stay within the stang budget, smiling. I was thinking Summit would be a good place to order and only a 6.95 handling fee, no shipping costs, any other recommendations? Do I need the Ford or other aftermarket 65 T/B now or can it wait? Oh I got my new ASP red aluminum(sp> ) pulleys today, haven't got them on yet, but they look fantastic, I might not put the alt pulley on though, we will see. Thanks again and I would appreciate any responses to the most recent post..

------------------
Old 01-24-2001, 04:09 PM   #16
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

I'd go ahead and get a bigger TB...65 should do great, but I'd go with a BBK, cause I had a ford 65, and it broke, but it may have been the operator . The Cobra should do great, they will support up to 400 hp, and will match your heads great. Good luck

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14

Old 01-24-2001, 04:15 PM   #17
Josh91
Registered Member

I have a Ford 65 and it seems like a nice piece. You don't need it now, but it would definitely help. As for where to get it from, look around at the classified ads (here, StangNet trader, Corral) and you can find one for $300 or so. There was a local guy here that sold his for $225! You can find sweet deals on used Cobra intakes. I got mine with the Ford 65 TB for $350. If you want new, I would get it at Summit, but have them price match it to the cheapest you can find in an MM&FF or 5.0 mag. I have seen them new for as little as $369 I think. That'd save you $30!

------------------