MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #1
Mike5p0
Registered Member

Red face Engine rebuild

Well its about time, I'm going to have my engine rebuilt... got a 110 on the odometer. I was thinking about getting a 331 stroker kit to rebuild it with. What do you guys think?? Is it worth it to put those new parts in an old block ... or should I just get a new crate engine... $$ ...
Another thing I would like some advice on is porting stock heads.. I've read a couple articles on porting them . But I''ve never done it and would like some pointers if possible. Will porting them, by taking the "smog bump" out going to make them smog illegal ?? I live in cali ... Any advice you guys have would be appriciated

Mike5p0
Mike5p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 09:45 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Mike, I got a 180M out of my stocker before I swapped it was still pulling 13.20's so 110M isn't really a whole lot. If you have the knowledge or have the help to assemble the block yourself then keep the stock block and have it machined and do everything yourself. OR get the 331 as as a short block or long block with some aluminum heads, I wouldn't put the stockers back on top of the 331 if you don't have too, but if you want to learn about porting go to the Standard Abrasives web site they have a good how to artice it is called DIY-Do It Yourself.

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 11:11 PM   #3
MOUSETRAP
Registered Member

Talking

Man!!! why are you rebuilding at 110K?? I bought my 87 with 115K on it and up to a few weeks ago before i sent my A-trim in to be upgraded, i was running 12.0's @ 115 with stock heads and 245K on it!! As long as the oil has been changed, they will almost last forever.
Jarrod

------------------

87GT Vortech S-trim, 155intank pump, 24# injectors, 75mm pro-m, cobra intake, exhaust, 3.73's, mega bite jr's, Central coastal mustangs drag springs and some other freebies.
MOUSETRAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
Mike5p0
Registered Member

rebuild... well .. wwhen I get on the gas it smokes... just a tad.. but Right now I'm in the marines.. and I'm gunna get out soon.. and be going to school.. so I'd like to be able to have the beast reliable for it. That "puff" I see is the piston rings... I think... input would be nice.. cuz I'm pretty dumb when it comes to stangs.. But I'm trying.

--Mike5p0
Mike5p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 10:31 AM   #5
gofastlx
Registered Member

In most cases the puff you saw was oil sneaking past the rings, but it is possible that your valve seal are totally worn out..

Rob
gofastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 10:48 AM   #6
Green92LX
Registered Member

I got 206K on mine now and drive it like a lunatic. Just keep on pounding on it, she'll take it!!!

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 205K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps, cut and welded stock shifter...and it runs like a champ.
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 01:51 PM   #7
89LXNB
Registered Member

Have you done a compression test?
How about a leakdown test?
Do you have a code scanner so you can run a cylindar balance test?

You might consider doing a thorough test of your engines condition before you rebuild, as the 302 is damn near bullit proof. I had 242K on mine before I tore it down. You might find that the motor is not in need of a rebuild at all and then you could spend your money elsewhere.

Stock heads are way underated, and are capable of producing a great deal when the correct valve job and machining is done to them. Do a lot of research and you will find a ton of information on how to enhance your stock heads. With the money you might save from a rebuild you could then get a better intake and throttle body etc..

Good Luck
Dan
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 02:03 PM   #8
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

I agree with Dan, do a compression test first, if the compression goes up it is the rings, if compression drops it is the valve guides. I didn't recommend the stock heads on top of the 331 because, it would greatly benifit from a set of good flowing aftermarket heads, cast or aluminum, it really all depends on what you want to do with the car. I have seen 347's topped with ported and polished to the hill stockers and they run good but it all depends on how much money you want to invest in the stock heads. Do you plan on doing a lot of racing? Is a blower or N2O in the future? These are all things you should consider before tearing it all apart, plan as best you can. I thought I had every little thing covered and still ended up $1000.oo over budget, but it was what I wanted, A** Kicking, raw power

Rick

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Old 01-23-2001, 02:23 PM   #9
89LXNB
Registered Member

Overlooked that when I made the comment on the heads. Probably should go with 91 GT's advice on that one.
Dan
Old 01-23-2001, 02:28 PM   #10
Shotgun28
Registered Member

gofastlx,

Tell me more about valves being worn, are these the cylinder heads valves or something else. I saw some oil in one of my plugs, passenger side furthest back, not sure what number and could this be from that. I just purchased some new GT40P heads so I am hoping this corrects the problem, with new gaskets, etc.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit, March underdrive pulley's Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...just ordered some new Red alum pulley's. Doing some big shopping of late, I will keep you posted.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 07:37 PM   #11
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

The valves intake and exhaust are in the heads The oil on the #8 plug could be from the piston rings failing or it could be a bad valve guide, you will really need to do a compression test to find out. Hell, Dans car had 242M milkes on it and when he took it aprt it looked as clean as a new one, oil changes are very important. Do the compression test then you'll know, it would be best to know before putting the new heads back on. If your rings are weak and that is where the oil is coming from your conditon could get worse. With new "tight" heads it will put more stress on the rings and it may leak like a sive, just some things to consider before going in head first.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 01-23-2001).]
Old 01-25-2001, 01:24 PM   #12
89LXNB
Registered Member

Mike,
Let us know how things go when you do your compression test. I'm curious to see what you find. I used to get a "puff" when I got on mine to. I am not sure it wasn't just spent fuel or smoke or both, but my car would do the same. Only when I really stepped on it hard however, and it never seemed to happen any other time. 91 GT can give you more detail but from what I understand if your rings were bad, it would smoke constantly, not just under hard acceleration. LOL, Green LX's advice isn't bad at all. You could just keep banging gears on her. If it aint broke, don't fix it theory applies to these motors. And why not, Ford's had 30 years to dial the 302 in.

Dan

[This message has been edited by 89LXNB (edited 01-25-2001).]