MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Post too much cold air?

I recently put a MAC Fenderwell cold air induction on my Cobra, but ever since then when I rev it, the filter makes a suction sound and when I pin it to the floor it doesn't tach up at all...it just bogs and makes no power. Is it possible that it is now getting too much air? Today, I covered the filter with duck tape so only some of it was open to air flow and it worked perfectly!-it actually got out of its own way. I don't want to keep driving it like this, so how do I adjust it to give it more fuel to compensate for the added air? If that is really the problem. I can't think of anything else it could be because it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be getting enough fuel already with the 24# injectors. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 73mm MAF, MAC fenderwell mount cold air, BBK underdrive pulleys, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3.55s
93SVTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 10:21 PM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I dont think the coldair is the problem, however i do beleive a little air resistance can help, i only saw a small gain. i would consider "a fuel press regulator" you shouldnt be running lean from just a little better breathing though, maybe someone else will throw you some .2

That sucking sound is cool i think.

But anything other than the stock air box shouldnt slow you down.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.20(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph 97.80
Best 60' 2.1
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 10:35 PM   #3
93SVTstang
Registered Member

So yours makes a sucking sound too? Do you find that it kind of hesitates before reving off of idle? I am going to take it to a local speed shop tomorrow to have them look at it, what kind of FPR is the best? Thanks for the info.

------------------
93SVTstang-93 Cobra: 73mm MAF, MAC fenderwell mount cold air, BBK underdrive pulleys, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3.55s
Old 01-22-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Not sure about the fpr, i dont have one yet, but heard the holley and crane suck? my car did hesitate when i blipped the throttle a while back, i found a corroded coil wire, and my IAB and TB was in need of a cleaning, does your car idle rough?

i also went ahead and cleand the upper plenum, and all of this helped sooo much i gained a mph or 2 from the cold air, im sure my O-R h-pipe im getting soon will net me a couple more mph, but i know the low end will drop.

So i have a different problem, my engine breathes good, but cant exhaust it out fast enough.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:40 PM   #5
93SVTstang
Registered Member

No, the car idles fine, it just has the symptoms mentioned before. I checked the coil yesterday & it was fine as far as I could tell (I'm no expert at any of this). I've never had the intake off, but the throttle body was clean when I put the cold air on last week. What do you clean the intake with? I was looking at Aeromotive for the FPR, do you know anything about their products? I will ask the people at the speed shop tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 01-23-2001, 01:07 AM   #6
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Cool

I don't know, Im far from being an expert too. I've done some small things, nothing major. I dont know if you have to but did you reset the computer? Really, thats all I can think of.
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 01:59 AM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Are there any bends in the pipeing near the MAF?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 02:48 AM   #8
MiracleMax
Registered Member

If it's a MAF car, unless the injectors are tapped out, adjusting the fuel pressure isn't really gonna do squat, except mask another problem if it works. Mass Air sensors can be fuddled by how the upstream air flow comes in. Like in a cold air kit that routes the air cleaner into the fender well. Try rotating the MAF housing and see if that does the trick before you use an adj FPR.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 02:51 AM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Oh and besides I think with stock electronics the MAF doesn't begin to lose resolution (to bad) until about 500-550 hp and if you've got a cold air kit doing that I want it if you dont like it
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 01:46 PM   #10
Fox89GT
Registered Member

Try resetting your computer. Maybe it has old data stored in there that is calibrated for less air. Its worth a shot IMO.
Fox89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 02:23 PM   #11
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I don't think it's the cold air system. My ram air comes in through my fog liht hole and I have never had any problems and my air travels another 24" or so. Did you check for vacuum leaks? Also invest in a inline fuel pressure gauge it will mount on the Shrader valve under the hood right above cyl #1, set your fuel to 38psi with vacuum off to start work from there (38-40psi is stock. The Aeromotive componets are very nice, Kirban also makes good products. I love my Paxton but a lot of people have problems with these, I personally haven't had any

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98

[This message has been edited by Rick 91GT (edited 01-23-2001).]
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 08:59 PM   #12
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the info, I did try reseting the computer twice, but had no luck. I brought it to a Mustang shop today and he said he would put it on his computer and try putting a fuel gauge on it to figure it out. Its out of my hands now...he sounded like he could fix it, he didn't look worried. I'll let yall know how it turns out tomorrow, if I get it back then. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Old 01-25-2001, 01:41 PM   #13
89LXNB
Registered Member

93sv
You might want to consider this. A really nice fuel pressure gage is about $40 and a code scanner is about $30. It would be a taste over $70 for two tools that will allow you to perform a diagnostic test on your car that is CLOSE to what you get when they put your car up on a scope. I wont tell you it's the same, because the scope is a serious piece of instrumentation equipment. But for many day in day out general problems with a 5.0, these tools I recommend to you are invaluable. Add a simple ohm meter to the mix and you are set. These items will allow you to "communicate" with your vehicle and are essential for troubleshooting. They are not difficult to learn to use either. Just something to consider to help you take control of your vehicles maintainence and avoid costly shop labor rates.

Good Luck,
Dan
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 08:41 PM   #14
93SVTstang
Registered Member

I got the car back today, and the problem was the 73mm C&L mass air wasn't functioning properly with the cold air kit...the air wasn't hitting the sensor right after going around the bend in the cold air kit, so now I'm back to the stock 70, but oddly enough...the car is way faster. I could not believe the tire spin through second without even trying. Dan, where can I get a code scanner? Thanks for all of the help, Beau

------------------
Old 01-25-2001, 11:16 PM   #15
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I got my code scanner at autozone, a good investment, although it brought up a "11" code, so it passed , never can be too good to mah stang
Old 01-26-2001, 12:06 AM   #16
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I wish I woulda seen your post earlier. This is obviously a MAF problem. I am running the same maf as you are with 24lb injectors. I had a similar problem after a ram air kit install. The MAF is kind of finicy of how it gets hit with the air. I dont know why... YOu could play with it a little. Also make sure its hooked up right and all, and possibly is it set for 19's? Well even a 70mm MAF isnt bad.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shortys, Offroad-H, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, 15degrees timing, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb inj, Crank pulley, MSD6A, Alum driveshaft.

Added: B&M Ripper, Subframes, & Turndowns.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 04:09 PM   #17
93CobraR
Registered Member

Try putting the aftermarket meter on and rotate the electrics toward the motor or fender and that should cure both problems.

------------------
87 GT, 4 inch cowl hood,17x9 Cobra R's/255/45's,GT-40 heads,long tubes headers,h-pipe,Flows,BBK cold air, Mass air,70mm MAF, 1.7's, 1" spacer,underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra, Adj. fuel Reg., Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 13.012
Best MPH 104
Best 60' 1.816

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 07:06 PM   #18
93SVTstang
Registered Member

Thanks for the help, yall are the best. Beau

------------------
93 Cobra: MAC fenderwell mount cold air, BBK underdrive pulleys, 8mm plug wires, shorty headers, off road h-pipe, Borla Cat-back, centerforce clutch, hurst shifter, 3.55s, and 12* of timing