MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Default GT40X questions...

Anyone have knowledge of the GT40x stuff available for the 5.0?

Is this really the best intake, heads, valve train??

Thanks!
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!
Click here for pictures & more info!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
JBeryleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
briand
Registered Member

i have the gt-40x's (58cc chamber) and i have been very happy with them. i wouldn't say that they are the best, but they are a very good flowing heads and very reliable. i have been having mine for about 3 or 4 years and i have had no problems.
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Hey, thanks.

Why did you choose the cobra intakes rather than the gt40's?

And... have you dyno'd your car with all that stuff installed?

Also... you chose the Crane cam, why not the E303 ?
What the diff and which is better for low end torque?

Thanks a bunch!
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
briand
Registered Member

i chose the cobra intake mainly for the price, i think i purchased it for $360 ( i was in college at the time). the cobra intake features great flow & velocity in its ports, so you gain more top end and plus loose no bottom end. when i installed it, i still had the stock heads and it made a good difference. i believe i went from consistent 14.8's to consistent 14.5's. the gt-40 intake is the same intake but features are more cosmetic upper with the same lower, but the tubular intake cannot be ported unlike the cobra.
i chose the crane 2031 cam because i am running the crane 1.7 roller rockers. when i did my head swap i didn't want to pull the cam out also, i just wanted to put the heads on and be done with it and make sure everything ran right, so to get a little more lift i added crane 1.7 roller rockers while i had the rockers off. a few more months later i realized that i could pick up a little if i added a different cam, so after a little research, i realized the 2031 was for me. It was a great idle, i still get great mileage, and i had a nice pickup with it. i never had my car dyno'd i would like to one day, but i believe this winter i will freshen up the old block (205,000 miles), then i will probably get it done. the best my car has turned at the track is 13.6 @ 104 mph. i know i can do alot better maybe low 13's or high 12's, but i don't get a chance to go to the track alot and practice my launching or shifting technique, hopefully in the near future i can start going a little more. good luck man, anymore questions, i would be happy to help.

brian
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Oh... here's a good couple questions...

What are your reasons for getting the 58cc heads rather than the 64cc ??

And did all the valve train fit nicely with stock stroke/pistons ?

What I am wanting to do is pretty much build the 345hp crate motor using my existing block. So I want to use the GT40x everything... and the B303 cam, or E303.

But I was gonna get the 64cc GT40x heads, with 1.60 valve train.
Will that clear the stock pistons?

Any input?

Old 07-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
briand
Registered Member

i got the 58cc's because i wanted to increase the compression instead of decreasing it. i didn't at the time plan to run a supercharger, so i went with the 58 cc's. 58cc's are good for a nitrous or natural aspirated motor. 64 cc's are good for blown motors. my valvetrain fit quite nicely to tell you the truth, if i had to do it all over again, i would probably purchase the 1.6's with the e-cam. it is better to get your lift out of the cam instead of the rockers for better valvetrain geometry, but everything worked out perfect. it still runs strong. i think the gt-40x's come with 1.90 intake and 1.54 exhaust. you should be fine with 1.6's and a e-cam, even safer with the b-cam. i would run the e-cam

take it easy
brian
Old 07-30-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
JBeryleC
Registered Member

What is the stock cc's? with the stock heads?

So.. the 58cc heads gives you more compression? And how high of compression?

And the 64cc give you less compression that the stock heads?

I guess the question is... what compression will each give?

58cc: ?
stock: ?
64cc: ?

Thank you!

Old 08-01-2003, 06:14 PM   #8
JBeryleC
Registered Member

Also... If I stick to ALL Ford racing stuff... is it all port matched??
(intakes, heads, headers)

Will anything need machining to match up perfectly?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:15 AM   #9
JBeryleC
Registered Member

And does anyone know the difference between the B303 & E303 cam from Ford Racing?

The crate motors give the option of either cam. One has a comment: for use with auto tranny.
BUT also states that EITHER can be used with manual tranny.

So... whats the diff?

Thanks!