MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Cam Questions

Okay guys & girls, am thinking might as well install a new cam while I am at. Am putting in GT40 P heads & headers, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, cobra rockers, 65 mm TB, EGR spacer and a few other little things. Want to know what you all think I should go with for a cam. Please let me know why! I really have no clue about cam's. Have done very little research, am just starting too, thats why I need opinions!

Thanks in advance!!

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default Daily Driver?

Is this car gonna be used for a daily driver, or street/strip application? I mean you could get a massive cam if you only wanted to drag with it....
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

you can do wonders with a plain jane b-303..thats my recremedation for that combo

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:46 PM   #4
Green9550
Resident Redneck

I recomend Comp Cams smallest Xtreme cam. They have been known to add great power. Good Luck.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Car info

First off the car is AOD, and will be that way a little longer, possibly will stay that way. A friend recommended with the hp I am shooting for AOD is the way to go, I am inclined to agree. The car is going to be streetable.

I talked to a guy who knows mustangs like you wouldn't believe (Micheal - can't remember his last name) but his cars are in MM&FF, 5.0, etc... The yellow Ranger... Anyway, he suggested the cobra spec cam if I never want to swap to a 5-speed, and the comp 2020 for either AOD or 5-speed... I am inclined to go comp 2020 just so I have that flexibility.

Let me know what you all think, like I said am still open to suggestions, if you can provide a link.... that would be great!

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
Old 05-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

is not the 2020 a wolverine or a crane..i dont think it is a comps and the cobra spec cam sucks and is ment to be used with 1.7RR

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
Green9550
Resident Redneck

SkadonyaCA, you have to realize that the cobra cams weren't that great. I know what you mean about being streetable. The AOD is a great choice. I would suggest that you get a converter. That would magnify the hp + torque gains a lot. I have an auto and wanted it to be streetable as possible. I got a custom cam done for my car so I could see the best gains for what I was doing to my car. I have noticed the the Comp Cams Xtreme cams ar very similar to my custom cam. It is just a suggestion. If I were you I would call an experienced engine builder and cam grinder. They could give you a lot of info. I would call Ed Curtis, he has done many people well with his cams. Good Luck.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Old 05-14-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Green9550

I already have a new converter, I installed it back in January when I rebuilt my tranny. I am putting in a new cam because I am building up my engine for two reasons, 1. more power, and 2. get it ready to handle a blower better.

Thanks

Amanda
_ ___________________ _
Old 05-14-2002, 01:39 AM   #9
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

The B cam is a pretty good choice for a mild combo like you have, but I think you need something with a little more low end "umph" as the B cam actually makes alot of power up top.

I reccomend you get ahold of Ed Curtis at flowtech induction, and check out his website http://www.flowtechinduction.com/
he can custom grind you a cam that will fit exactly your heads/intake/tranny choice.

good luck with your decision,
-Drew
Old 05-14-2002, 02:29 AM   #10
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Cobra cam, lol, no one that knows anything would recommend a cobra cam.

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:40 AM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

Comp cams part no# 35-310-8.

Its mild enough, yet has a sweet idle. It works well with an AOD. The AOD needs lots of low end to get its inefficient butt moving. This cam has it. It has an RPM range of 1500-5500, perfect for P heads. It has a 114 degree LSA, which I recomned for AOD cars(wider power band).

You could also consider part no# 35-351-8. Both are good blower cams and AOD cams for mild street/strip use and for an AOD.

Get the comp cams catalog and choose something with a 215-220ish intake duration @ .050 and a 114 LSA.

www.competitoncams.com
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 05:18 AM   #12
Big Paul
Registered Member

Default I do have to say....

....that she's in CA, and i'm sure you know about emissions there.

I don't know much about what cams you guys are talking about (new to ford) but I hope your giving her suggestions for a cam that'll pass smog here in CA.
Big Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:49 AM   #13
Green9550
Resident Redneck

Cali. emissions are a big concern, but people that live in cali have pass them with much wilder engines. There are many things you could do to your car to get it to pass. But, you should worry about it.

I think your best option would be to call Ed Curtis like fiveohpatrol and I have said. He cam make a cam just for you, not everybody else. Good luck in your decision.

-Billy
Old 05-14-2002, 10:00 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The B303 cam is a horrible choice in this application. It has a very poor LSA. A higher LSA is key to getting the car out of the hole with an AOD. The B cam is also a very poor choice for forced induction because of it's LSA.

Since you have chosen iron heads that will more than likely have valvetrain setup for a maximum lift of .500, I would recommend a Steeda #18 cam.

.480/.480 220*/226* LSA 115.

You could also choose an E303 .498/.498 220*/220* LSA 112, but I think the extra duration of the Steeda cam will work better for you with the supercharger, and the very good LSA will allow you to make power down low. The P heads should be very good at making low end power, while the track heat intake is more setup for high rpms.

If you choose to go with a Xtreme energy series cam you might as well step up to some different heads because the cost of adding high lift springs and components will make the GT-40P's much more expensive. People seem to forget the XE series cams(which I think are junk) are very high in lift, and very short in duration. Their advertising says "more power than other cams with the same duration" or something to that effect. Wow. Pretty impressive considering their duration compares to extremely mild cams.

The Cobra cam is very weak. It's a really poor choice for any performance application if you don't use 1.7:1 rockers, and even then, it's not good. The one advantage the Cobra cam has in this case, it's a good stock AOD cam, LOL. Since you're not stock, and you don't intend to be stock in the future, it's a poor choice.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

The e-303 doesnt have a 112 LSA. It has a 110 lsa. And the comp cams are proven performers. Do more research
RHC member #142
Old 05-15-2002, 01:50 PM   #16
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default FYI

The guy who suggested the Cobra spec cam is one of the top Mustang mechanics in the states. He does all kinds of things for them. Programming is one of them. He races, had 3 of his cars at the shop, two of which have graced the cover of every ford/mustang magazine out there... I think he knows his stuff. He suggested it due to the fact that I want drivablity, I want to pass emmissions easily, and I don't want a rough ride, also because I may not ever swap to a 5-speed and you have to be careful what cam you put in cause it can really screw your set-up up if you install the wrong one.

Thanks for the link to Flowtech, cool site. Will look more into getting one made.

Amanda
_ ___________________ _
Old 05-15-2002, 03:54 PM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

Default Re: FYI

Quote:
Originally posted by SkadonyaCA
The guy who suggested the Cobra spec cam is one of the top Mustang mechanics in the states. He does all kinds of things for them. Programming is one of them. He races, had 3 of his cars at the shop, two of which have graced the cover of every ford/mustang magazine out there... I think he knows his stuff.

Amanda
Well, I guess you wont be needing our help then? Oh, tell him the 2020 isnt a comp cam, but a crane. Good day.
RHC member #142
Old 05-15-2002, 06:34 PM   #18
Green9550
Resident Redneck

SkadonyaCA, I hope you realize that we are in no way trying to put you or your friend down. We are just trying to say that the cobra cam sucks for good performance. It would hurt the combo. I would just call Ed at Flow Tech Induction. He can help you more than anyone else here. He is VERY experienced with mustang combo's. He knows his stuff. I hope you take this the right way. You can get more out of your combo with a custom cam and still go through emissions. Good Luck with the cam decision. Take care.

-Billy
Old 05-15-2002, 07:34 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sorry I misquoted the LSA on the E cam

You're dumb if you think the XE series is good, especially on stock E7's or GT-40P heads. I've done enough research to satisfy myself. Huge lift means HUGE power loss and valvetrain stress. It means HUGE springs that rob even more power. Do you have any idea how much power it takes to lift 16 valves against higher rate springs an additional .050" 3000 times a minute? High lift cams mean more expensive components to keep from destroying parts (like upgrading the basic valvetrain that comes on standard GT-40P heads). GT-40P heads aren't even made to flow beyond .500 from the factory. You'll see a lower flow rate at .600 than at .500 or even .400 for the intake valve on P heads. Yeah, I haven't done any research or anything. The flow on the stock P heads intake drops after .500 lift. Exhaust is equal to a minor improvement of 2cfm or so.

If you want a performance cam, get one. If you want a lot of hype, get an XE series cam and make the same power you would with a cam with .050 less lift. The only difference is you'll be spending a lot less on the other cam combo.

The HO cam is a proven performer too, but that says nothing.

I don't care what Mr. Brainiac in CA says. The Cobra cam is NOT a good performance cam. It's a good stock AOD cam. You're better off with the stock HO cam and 1.7:1 roller rockers.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 12:06 AM   #20
Mach 1
Registered Member

I think you are greatly over stating what affect more lift has on your valve train. You dont need HUGE springs, and the comp cams dont have HUGE lift. Most of the comp cams run around .533 to .540 lift. That is not HUGE by any means.

Comp like to run more lift because that what roller cams are good at. Thats what their advantage is over flat tappets. Factory computer controlled engines can have driveability problems with lots of duration, so why not take advantage of extra lift the roller cam allows?

Most aftermarket heads can handle at least .575 lift. Dont know about the P heads, but if they cant, then you should upgrade the springs anyway.

XE cams arent hype, they are proven performers. Might not be the best choice for some crappy springed P heads, but stronger springs are a wise upgrade on any mustang, even a stock one.

If a heads max flow is at .500 lift, and you go slightly over that, say .533, wouldnt you be spending more time at the .500 mark than a cam that has say .490 lift?
RHC member #142

Last edited by Mach 1; 05-16-2002 at 12:17 AM..