MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-16-2002, 10:11 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Default Motor Mounts

Recently my car started to act up. By this i mean that the engine would torque over a fair bit when accelerating. What i was wondering is if i can use the motor mounts from a newer Mustang like a 88 or something along those lines. I have no problem doing some modifications in order to make it fit. If anyone can tell me what i need to get it to fit into my 82 i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:15 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I am pretty sure you can. Ford motor mounts are all located in the same place. My friend is building/restoring his 67 fastback, and he is looking for ANY KIND of 302 to put in it for now (until he gets his 351 built). I asked him, "will the new 5.0's fit in your 67?" and he told me that all Ford motors (V8's) have the same motor mount locations. It will just drop right in.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:52 AM   #3
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I have convertible mounts from a 1990 in my 86.
They are definitely worth it, much smoother compared to solid mounts. Energy Suspension makes a convertible mount with urethane instead of rubber, worth considering too.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:55 AM   #4
fast88
Registered Member

Default convertible mounts

Go to autozone and order mounts for a 89 convertible they are a little bit more but they are made like the energy suspension poly mounts .They have a metal ring encasing the rubber so if they do break it will only torque so far.I bought mine here in n.c. for around 45 bucks a piece.Good luck!
88 Notchback orig. 4 cylinder car with a efi v8 swap from a wrecked 89 5.0 hatch,edelbrock performer rpm's 190/160,typhoon intake,comp cams 1.6 rockers,65mm tb and spacer,pa performance c4 w/ 3000 stall,3.73's auburn pro, 31 spline mosers,mac off road h-pipe,1 5/8 shorties ,and 2 1/2 pro dumps,kirban fpr,190 lph walbrp.
SOON TO BE BLOWN!
fast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Is it necessary to use prothane or energy suspension motor and trany mounts or are you safe w/ cheaper alternatives?
Old 05-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

IMO:

i would either get the convert mounts from FORD or get the polyurathane mounts from Energy Suspension. Don't get the cheap ones. You'll reget them later on. Ask yourself this... Is your car worth the extra few bucks? I do that all the time and my stuff has never broke before... you get what you pay for.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:32 PM   #7
mysweetlx
Registered Member

That's true (most of the time), but there are some instances where you pay more then what you're actually getting. Sometimes it's just the name your buying, that's why I wanted to get some feed back. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:38 PM   #8
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

The thing is i talked to energy suspension and they said there is no way for them to fit. But i dont see why not. 5.0's havent changed as far as mounts go and dont all 5.0L fox's have the same K member. I plan on going to the parts store and comparing the ones for my car and the newer mustangs.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:43 PM   #9
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadWarrior
The thing is i talked to energy suspension and they said there is no way for them to fit. But i dont see why not. 5.0's havent changed as far as mounts go and dont all 5.0L fox's have the same K member. I plan on going to the parts store and comparing the ones for my car and the newer mustangs.

Some times you'll run into these chevy moron's that don't know a thing about Quality Ford stuff. THEY WILL FIT! Just order the ones for the 87-93 years.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:03 PM   #10
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Well i fixed my problem. Instead of getting the energy suspension ones i ended up getting some solid motor mounts. A guy was selling some for 70$CDN so thats pretty cheap when compared to the 260 for the energy suspension ones. They should work good on my car and this way ill never tear a motor mount again.