MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
Ripon
Registered Member

Default i was thinking i was pinging...

but my friend says it sounds like the timing belt since his dad had a van with a 5.0 in it and it sounded just like it.

I know my fuel to air ratio was really lean, in the 18s, but i think ive solved that with my fuel regulator/fuel pump that ive installed. Hell i think i may be even running a lil rich since i have a header leak.

My question is, whats the difference between the sound of pinging or the timing chain rattling in a 302.

The sound that is.

Thanks in advance.
Ripon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:53 AM   #2
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Just listen to where its comming from. you can get fancy automotive stethoscopes but just take something long and put it on the timing cover and put it to your ear. and if its comming from the front of the engine its the chain otherwise its pinging, in which case hit it with a timing light and double check its still timed right.
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
Ripon
Registered Member

Default the only problem is...

that it happens only when im in wot on the road so i cant really tell w/o putting my head to the engine while im driving so im not sure.
Ripon is offline   Reply With Quote