MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2001, 01:54 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question BBK cold air kit.......Crap?

I just got the BBK fenderwell kit from Summit and it was sort of difficult to get installed. It's in and it looks great, but the fit definitely seems off. Has anyone else had any problems with this? Should I send it back and get a differen't kit or something? Doesn't Mac make one similar to the BBK? Anyone have any experience with one or both of these? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73's, K&N w/ homemade Ram Air, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms Crane HI-6S Ignition, Nitto 450 Extremes, BBK cold air fenderwell and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 02:05 AM   #2
brooksgnm
Registered Member

Probably wrong but just an idea..could you have gotten the speed density kit instead of the MAF kit? The MAF one leaves a gap for the MAF sensor, where as the speed density one leaves just a small gap. Seems like that might be the fitment problem? Hope this helps you somehow!

------------------
85 GT many mods drag car
84 SVO auto x type car
brooksgnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 02:13 AM   #3
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

on my mac fenderwell setup, i have a problem fitting the maf bracket on the right place, but it's in now, so im gonna leave the bolts out for now, it fits tight enough to hold itself.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 02:54 AM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

I have the right part number, and it's in, but it seems like whoever designed it did it from a picture or something. The bends are not quite right, especially from the air meter to the throttle body. I just expected it to fit much better. I'm not sure if I should send it back. It looks sharp, but the fit kind of pisses me off for the money I spent on it. I just don't know if the Mac setup is a better fitting kit or if there is another one for a reasonable price. I like the chrome pipe, but like I said the fit worries me. I don't need the thing popping off the tb when I have the hammer down or anything like that.
Old 01-15-2001, 08:08 AM   #5
LOCASH
Registered Member

I have friends who have both (MAC and BBK). The guy with the MAC was really happy with the kit and the guy with BBK complains about how it is rubbing his strut tower brace. It is really obvious when you look at the BBK set up that he had to tweak it quite a bit. They are both mass air cars.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 09:57 AM   #6
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

I have heard the exact same thing from almost everyone who has a BBK setup. I have heard a lot of people say that the MAC fits a lot better.
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 06:29 PM   #7
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

My MAC fits perfectly! It's so beautiful. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 06:45 PM   #8
mustangbob19
Registered Member

I have a MAC It fits perfect, looks great, and sounds awesome. Just my two cents.

------------------
90 Mustang GT (hatchback)
3.55's, dyno-max exhaust,
Mac Cold Air Induction
mustangbob19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 08:25 PM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

Send it back to summit. You might have the piece of crap kit that I originally had and sent it back. They repackaged it and sent it to you. Get the Moroso, thats what I did, and it is a nice kit. I would forget the chrome look, but if thats what your heart is set on, maybe try the Mac, although it looks to much like the BBK crap for me.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 06:35 AM   #10
scott93gt
Registered Member

I had the BBK and experienced the same fit and finish problem. I put my stock airbox back on and added K&N filter. Don't waste your money on BBK like I did. Every post I have read in regard to the BBK cold air kit has been the same, BBK has a poor fit.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Silver CC/Titanium Accent GT, Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flows, K&N, Hurst Competition Plus.

Click HERE to see my 1993 GT.

1991 F150 4x4 XLT Lariat Six Stick Reg. Cab Tow vehicle
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 09:19 PM   #11
cop-coupe
Registered Member

Just a thought. I have several friends that have both the BBK and the MAC, I have the BBK and it fits like a glove. But I have a 1" Phonolic spacer and it makes enough of a differenc in the angle of the tube to make it fit right(it is still fairly snug but it is not bound up like I have seen some of them). One of my friends has his on a cobra intake with out a spacer and has cut about an 1/8" to a 1/4" off of the mass air side of the mass air to intake tube and it made a big diff. in the fit. You can figure you have quit a bit of margine for error since the boot will cover any gap you may have (as long as it is not to big)

------------------
1990 spec. serv. coupe w/aod, b-303, gt-40 heads and intake, 1.6rr, 1" spacer, fms valve covers, mac cold air intake, bbk equil shorties, under drives, 65mm t.b. 2.5" flows, fms 9mm wires,
cop-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 10:58 PM   #12
87GTman

All you have to do is trim the darn thing Its not rocket science thats what I did VERY EASY FIX fits like a glove.. now

------------------
SOLD THE 87GT, 83 Hatch EFI converted.
Cobra shortblcok with TFS heads, E-303 cam, GT40 intake 65mm TB and 75 bullet TKO tranny 3.73 gears ROH wheels, and ALWAYS a 150 shot of Compucar
Old 01-18-2001, 01:02 AM   #13
chris91LX
Registered Member

Exclamation

BBk advertises this system for my model make and year, if the freaking thing doesn't fit they designed it wrong. I'm not going to "modify" a piece that shouldn't need it, especially when I paid $150 bucks for it. If the MAC fits better I'll buy it. The BBK is going back to Summit and I'll think twice befor I buy another part from BBK as well. Just my .02 in reply.
Old 01-18-2001, 02:04 AM   #14
Mach 1
Registered Member

Dont disown BBK by virtue of thier crappy cold air kit, as most of their other products are very good.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote