MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 07:13 PM   #1
Brian88
Registered Member

Post those with AOD and transgo or any other shift kit

Is it worth it. What kind of advantages will it give. I am either going to work on my automatic some or just switch to t5. My main question is when you are driving and do not let of the gas pedal, can you hear the car or will the car squeel when it goes into second.
Brian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 07:30 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

Not much advantage, yes squeals 2nd.
I had AOD w/ 2200 converter, "low" gear set,
transgo shift kit.
It only went 14.40's, and i broke 3 AOD's in 5 years.
I got rid of the car for a 5-sp notch
and never regret it.
t-5 is waaaaaay stronger and faster.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 09:34 PM   #3
gogo50
Registered Member

I recently put a remanufactured AOD tranny in my car. They also added the transgo shift kit. I had it shifting hard and into the gears, then I toned it down some. It does hit really hard, and can chirp the tires. But I would probably get the T-5, not much worry with those. Your prefrence, good luck!
gogo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 11:33 AM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

The shift kit will be a nice mod for you. You will gain some performance gain, but mainly, it makes it much more fun to drive. You should be able to squeel second at WOT depending on your tires and road conditions.

You can build up an AOD to out perform a T-5 on any day, but it will cost you more money than just purchasing a T-5. If you prefer the automatic, they can be built right. For instance, Lentech makes an awesome AOD that will hold 600+hp levels and run more consistantly than any T-5.

Basically, to make an AOD run with a T-5, you need 3.73 or 4.10 gears, a shift kit, a 2500-2800 rpm torque converter, and you should also add a tranny cooler. This can run upwards of $1300 if you buy the good stuff (which is a must with an AOD build...companies like Precision Industries, Transgo, etc...). Further than that, to handle constant racing and high horspower applications, there are internal modifications to clutches and bands, etc that need to be made, or you can buy a complete tranny from Lentech already done up.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:10 PM   #5
Josh91
Registered Member

I agree with Nathan 100%. An AOD can be built real nice. Mine performs great, but if I were to do it all over again I would have a T5.

------------------
1991 Mustang GT - Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, GT-40P heads, Crane 2031 cam, Crane 1.7rr, Built AOD, Art Carr 2400 non-lockup converter, Transgo shift kit, BBK chrome cold air, FMS 'P' headers, Pacesetter off-road H, BBK aluminum pulleys, 2-C Flows w/ dumps, 4.10's, Steeda STB, for now...
Josh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 10:13 PM   #6
88AODGT
Registered Member

Wink

As long as you stay away from B&M its all good
88AODGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 03:14 AM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with B&M. The biggest problem I have with an AOD is getting out of the hole. My 60' times stink, and it hurts ET big time,

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 11:11 PM   #8
Fast Freddy
Registered Member

I had a AOD in my car up until 3 years ago (it's a 1987). I had put the TCI 2800 stal converter in there with a Baumann shift kit, HD "A" OD servo, and ran the biggest cooler that would fit in front of my radiator. I raced this car every thursday at the track (i swear the timeslips for the car would be over 5 foot tall). The original AOD made it approx 75K miles - before starting to slip - and 35K were with the mods. Yeah mine would kick into second pretty hard and squeal 2nd gear. It was fun - but nearly impossible to autocross. I switched to a T5Z because it was cheaper (little under $2000) for the 5 speed swap than the race AOD that I was looking at (anywhere from $2500-3000).

------------------
87 LX50 Convertible - ProM conversion - Ported Cobra Intake - Ron Anderson TFS TW heads - Steeda 18 Cam - 30lb injectors - Kenny Brown chassis kit - Motorsport Springs -Steeda 17x8.5 Wheels - Light bar - etc...
Fast Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
LOCASH
Registered Member

Question

How would you rate the B&M shift kit compared to the TransGo kit?

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 06:30 PM   #10
evilstang
Registered Member

Thumbs down

An AOD can be the ONLY way to go in some situations(usually in situations wear consistency is critical)but I think a t5 would be your best option.also a shift kit is only half the job and can actually raise your et.You can pick up a used t5 pretty cheap,or if you want something just a little tougher the world class can be had at a reasonable price.Installing a t5 in an aod car is very easy also.

------------------
IF ITS NOT BLOWN IT SUCKS
8sec 88GT 13sec 91GT
evilstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 10:19 PM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

Depends what you want- Trango kit is more involved, more expensive, and performs better ( I assume)

The B&M kit is cheaper, easier to install, but doesnt do as much as the transgo kit.

What do you want?

They both do what they are designed to do.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote