MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2001, 07:47 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Angry im lost, cant find the leak, please help!

i posted about this a couple weeks ago and went through what was suggested and i still couldnt find exatly where the leak is coming from, coolant builds up underneath the lower radiator hose and some how gets sprayed everywhere underneath the engine, but when it sits overnight it wont puddle up much underneath the car, nor will the level go way down, im thinking that its somehow coming from the bottom of the water pump and hitting the harmonic balancer and thats whats making it spray everywhere, i took off the lower hose to make sure that it wasnt rotted and it looks brand new so thats not the culprit, this is really making me mad and i dont want to start changing things until i know for sure what the problem is, also theres alot of other greasy residue all over underneath the motor and the power steering pump area, theres also a layer of grese/oil on the oilpan that is kinda concerning me is this just normal buildup or what? i hate all this not knowing where its coming from, give me a long tube header install anyday before all this crap, thanks guys

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, pulleys, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after 1.7RR install

fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 08:03 PM   #2
powerhungry
Registered Member

check the weap hole on the water pump. if it's leaking their it's a bad water pump.
powerhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 09:10 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I would suggest the same thing. Sounds like it may be coming from the weap hole.

Isn't there a dye you can put in your radiator and use a black light to find out where it's coming from?
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 11:12 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol

does the waterpump only have coolant going through it when the thermostat is open? im thinking i cant get any coolant to leak when im looking cause its so damn cold out that the car wont warm up to 180 to open the stat. i did look at the weep hole though and it does look like there has been some moisture in and around it, and a little bit of buildup of some sort too, i guess the coolant film standing on things underneath there could attract dust and dirt and all buildup to what im finding, still not sure about the oil though, is there a seal that can be replaced around the sensor (pressure sensor?) in the side of the oilpan, i guess i could change the drainplug gasket too next time i change the oil

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, pulleys, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after 1.7RR install

Old 02-18-2001, 10:18 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol

anyone else got any ideas?
Old 02-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #6
LOCASH
Registered Member

I am not trying to insult you but instead of replacing all this stuff why don't you just get your hands on a radiator pressure tester. I don't know if you could rent one from a parts store or something but if not just take the car to a garage and have them hook one up to it. It is just a hand pump that connects to the radiator where the cap goes on and they pump it up so you can see where the leak is. This really sounds like it is driving you crazy...I know the feeling. If you want to just buy the pump it is about $90+s/h from jcwhitney. It comes with a couple of adapters also. I hope this helps. Good luck.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Steeda G-trac and subs, Strut bar.
"DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote