MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Question Rocker arm installation

I recently got a new mustang and pulled the engine and got a few minor things done on it. My question is this. When i was re-installing the rocker arms as i tightened them all down they always compressed the valve springs. Im not worried about that but they also compressed the springs for the #1 cylinder and it was at TDC. Is this normal? I had the heads resurfaced so do i need to shim the rockers? It may be nothing but its driving me crazy and id like to know for sure before its all back in the car. I went through my book but it doesnt help much so any help is appreciated. And if it makes any difference they dont compress much.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #2
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Oh yeah its a 88 GT
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 PM   #3
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

it might be at tdc on the exaust stroke ........turn it 180* and see if it still opens the valve.........i'm not sure but i think on the exaust stroke the ex valve is almost closed just as the in valve starts to open......hope that helps
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:21 PM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Unfortunately no. I had the timing cover off and it was at TDC. And it pushed both valves open a little bit, not just one. Could this just be that the lifters need to be run again or something. Please help ASAP as the engine is hopefully going to be in this weekend.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

??? ok i'm confused now ......i was thinking it might have been at tdc on the 2nd stroke instead of on the firing stroke .......on a 4 stroke engine the crank goes around twice before it fires....'tdc' on int/ex stroke then 'tdc' on compression/firing stroke ......if it's at 'tdc' on ex stroke both valves would be open a tiny bit (one opening ,one closing=intake/exaust).....if it's at 'tdc' on firing stroke and both valves are open then there's somthing eles wrong

the only other thing i can think of is the rockers might have to be shimed .......i would think that the lifters would bleed down if you have spring tension on them if they were pumped up to high...unless there new lifters or something ,they sould bleed off
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:10 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

you will nkow as soon as you start it..it will miss like crazy and you smell gas as your plugs will be soaked in it..if that happens then you have to shim you rockers or sell em and buy some adjustable..Omega makes a pedistal adj roller rocker now..something to thinkg about
do you just have the heads resurfaced or did they shave em down a lil..that would def require one of the things i said above

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote