MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
mpj76
Registered Member

Default Rear axle and bearing change instructions

Hello, I'm pretty sure I need to change the axle bearing on my car. I have never worked on the rear end. Can someone post some instructions? I'll look in my Hayne's, but that never includes potential hang ups or good tricks. I've read that the axle will probably be damaged by the bad bearing. Is this something I can verify by just removing the diff cover? Thanks.
91 Coupe: FMS 1 5/8 unqual shorty's, BBK off road X-pipe, Super Duty T5, Pro 5.0 short shifter, 2.73 rear, G3 alt, MSD coil, dist, no smog pump, oil cooler, 195K miles, 14 deg timing, 23 mpg city/29 mpg highway @ 65 mph.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Re: Rear axle and bearing change instructions

The axle bearing is on the end of the axle tube. Behind the brake assembly. It can be a total pain in the arse. You have to have a special puller, which is actually a slide hammer, to get it out. Sometimes the race breaks, and then you get to play hell getting it out. I suggest giving that headache to a quallified shop and let them deal with it. It's worth it to not have to deal with it.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Sometimes a little heat will let that bearing race out. Stinks like a mofo but works. Or if you break the bearing and leave the outside race still in the axle housing, you can weld a bead on the inside of the bearing race. It'll come out then.

You can't check this by just pulling the diff cover. How do you know the axle bearing is the problem?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Joel5.0
Registered Member

If you go ahead with the bearings removal, either you or have a shop do it for you, and you find out the axles are damaged due to wear on the area the bearing runs on.....you don't have to replace the axles. There's an alternative using an offset bearing/seal setup so you can "extend" their useful life and unless an upgraded set of axles is on the works. The part# is VLRP5707 or RP5707 under the Timken brand. JIC.

1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops
NOW: 5.0L Stock SB, X303 Cam, 700 cfm DP Holley, 289 '66 Heads, 1.7 RR, Richmond Gear 4+1 Tranny, Centerforce DF, 2.73 Gears
WIP: 3.90 Gears, LS Overhaul, Adj. LCA's & UCA's (Granatelli), T-Top weather striping and rear braces bodywork
Joel5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
mpj76
Registered Member

I think the bearing is bad because I can hear a wah wah wah sound coming from the side of the rear end. Speed changes the frequency of the sound. Higher speeds (over 60) can be felt as shaking develops throughout the entire car, almost like out of balance tires. It does it whether or not I'm in gear, with or without the engine on. When the rear of the car is jacked up, the passenger side wheel spins by hand easily, where the driver's side has a noticable resistance throughout about 2/3 of its motion range. The resistance is there even when the drum is pulled off, so I know its not a rubbing brake problem. Do you think I'm diagnosing this correctly? An axle upgrade is not in order - I appreciate the heads up.
91 Coupe: FMS 1 5/8 unqual shorty's, BBK off road X-pipe, Super Duty T5, Pro 5.0 short shifter, 2.73 rear, G3 alt, MSD coil, dist, no smog pump, oil cooler, 195K miles, 14 deg timing, 23 mpg city/29 mpg highway @ 65 mph.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Jeff Chambers

Sounds about right to me.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Yeah, however, I have a few issues with the whole
Quote:
It does it whether or not I'm in gear, with or without the engine on.
thing. That just sounds dangerous to me. (Never done that personally )
Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
mpj76
Registered Member

Probably no more dangerous than driving around with a bad bearing
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Your driving around with a bad bearing is just about going to guarantee axle damage. How long have you been driving with the bearing noise?

If you want to fix the problem, but can't do an axle upgrade, why not just buy a stock replacement axle from a junkyard or parts store?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
grey88gt
Registered Member

As Joel 5.0 said, there is a offset bearing to fix a bad axle. Ive run them in 8.8 and 9 inch rear ends with no problems.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
bmxmon
Registered Member

When I got my 8inch out of the junkyard, I had to replace one of the bearings. A pain in the ass, but not too bad I didnt think. When I went to remove the axle Im too poor for the right tools, so I used a chain hooked to the axle and a C-clamp attached to the chain for a handle. Alot of hard pulls later it poped out. I got the bearing pressed on by a shop though.