MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
mpj76
Registered Member

Default fire hazard

Hey,

The other day I put the key in my ignition, turned it into the on position, and smoke started pouring out of my center console. I'm suspecting it to be the power mirror switch. Now when I move it into L or R, the mirror will start moving without me pushing any of the arrow buttons. Shouldn't a fuse have blown? Or is it part of the cigarette lighter circuit? Would that enable it to take such a high temp without blowing a fuse? Pretty scary stuff since the lighter works without the key in the car.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #2
crazypete
Registered Member

Wow, dude, I'm assuming that you're not the first owner of this car. Yeah, most japanese cars have ciggy lighters that work with the key out so I'm guessing someone wired around the fusing system and attached it to a permanent hot wire. Good news is that taking the center console out is a cinch and usually I've found these electrical fires to happen in little "clumps" as opposed to along their entire length. You'll have to pry the fried wires apart and wrap them in electrical tape. I would attend to this soon as I had a real full blown electrical fire aboard my saab and it's not pleasant!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
mpj76
Registered Member

I got the car from a FHP auction. It's a 91 Florida Highway Patrol car. They did other creative electrical work also. When I first got it, my headlights wouldn't turn on. Turns out they had installed a toggle switch INSIDE one of the cavities within the dash. How's that for a hair puller. Also, my stock domelight doesn't work. They installed one of those huge RV bathroom style lights in the ceiling. The trunk release is also relocated under the dash for you to be able to accidentally hit the button with your knee.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
crazypete
Registered Member

If it were me, I would go to mernard's nearby and replace all those lovely "features" that they put into your car with nice, stock looking and well blended oem parts. Spend a weekend and strip. If you pull off the dashboard and the 2 rocker panel covers, you can access most of the wiring. I rewired my car completely and I stripped like 2/3 of the wiring out of it. Most of it was needless or poorly designed. Now I KNOW that my car has fresh wires inside it and everything is a larger guage than it needs to be. Plus it's fun
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpj76
The trunk release is also relocated under the dash for you to be able to accidentally hit the button with your knee.
Kinda unrelated, but the police package mustangs usually included moving the trunk release to under the column for easier access. same thing with the "1 key" doors/ignition.

J

p.s. Where in Fl are you?
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
mpj76
Registered Member

Yeah, the one key deal was cool until my ignition broke.