MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
Longball
Registered Member

Default Broken White tube???

I was fingering around under the hood and I noticed that thre is a small white tube- line wire (but I think its hollow) broken. Not sure what it does or what its for, so I took some pictures of it. Maybe some sort of censor?????

First time attaching a photo, so bare with me......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04575.jpg (143.3 KB, 63 views)
Longball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Longball
Registered Member

Here's another picture of it......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04571.jpg (115.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
Longball
Registered Member

And heres a picture of the car.... Only had enough battery life left for one .........

Longball
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04576.jpg (320.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-06-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
dustang90
Registered Member

That is a vaccum tube that goes to the EGR valve, I can't remember what it does, have you notice a difference in your idle or has your check engine light came on. Oh and check out thread titled "new company"
Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #5
Longball
Registered Member

I have not had the check engine light come on, and I really have not noticed anything with the idle........ And to be honest, if there where something wrong with the idle, I probably wouldn't be able to tell.............

I will check out the post you mentioned ......

Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 02:22 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

You might start noticing bad gas mileage or poor idle quality without that vac. hooked up. you can get some rubber vaccuum hose at an auto parts store and just find a size that slips over both ends snug, and that will work.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 AM   #7
tmoss
Registered Member

You can see where it broke off the rubber connector for the EGR. Take a needle nose and pull the broken piece out of the rubber connector - it will have a little "ball" near the end - throw that away. Cut the other half of the line flush, put a little silicone sealer on theoutside of the tube and slip it back into the rubbver connector - good to go again.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
mpj76
Registered Member

One more for the rubber tubing idea. The stuff is super cheap. Those stock hoses are crap. When one breaks, the rest are brittle too. You might as well do them all. All you need is a pair of scissors and about 10 minutes.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah, and if you try and get Ford replacements for all of those plastic vac lines, they will charge you an unholy amount.

Do like tmoss said, or just replace the tube.

Just get some rubber vaccume line from Vato-Zone and you'll be set.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
White GT
Registered Member

Replacement hose can be easily found at ford for a cheap price.Be sure to bring a sample to find the right size.

By the way, also check other hose for leeking. On my 88GT i've also broke this one and there's was a hole in another one at the back of the upper intake.

Every trouble code found on the car was just about these defective hoses.

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:35 PM   #11
Longball
Registered Member

Thanks guys very, very much. I will tinker with it, and you have provided a few different means of fixing it, so I'll keep all options open. I'm not a car, but would like to be very much so....
And come to think if it, the gas guzzelling does seem to be quite much theses days.... I believe someone above mentioned poor mileage...... Yup, your right ........
Old 08-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #12
Longball
Registered Member

Tmoss..... which rubber connector are you referring to???? Do you mean the end which has the 90 degree fitting or the other end, which plugs into the end which has all the other hoses running to????

Old 08-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #13
Agent_4573
Registered Member

pull the little peice of broken tube out of the rubber boot, push the other peice of tube(the long, unbroken part) back into the rubber boot and reconnect it. But i would advise getting new tube. Its like 30 cents a foot if that.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM   #14
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Longball
Tmoss..... which rubber connector are you referring to???? Do you mean the end which has the 90 degree fitting or the other end, which plugs into the end which has all the other hoses running to????

The 90° connector - where the line broke. Grap the short piece in the 90° rubber connector with a needle nose and puill it out - they usually have a little ball near the end from the factory. Cut the long broken section off square, put a LITTLE silocone on the OUTSIDE of the hose and insert into the rubber connector where you pulled the broken piece out.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:17 PM   #15
Longball
Registered Member

Well boys, I finally made it to crappy tire and they happend to have some windshield washer tubing instock. I believe off the top of my head the I.D. was 7/64''th of an inch. I had to put a little taper on the the end which goes into the 90 degree part. And when I dug out the old tube, I did not come across a ball bearing..... but who's to say I didn't pop it out and just didn't see it..........

I'll find out tomorrow if the hose holds up under any pressure...

Thanks again for the help... you guys are all great!!!!!

P.s.....

How do I get to the page to create some pictures of the car??? SOme of you guys have it set up so that if I click on the 98 GT link (example), the fourm takes me to a page which has the Owners name and a place for the pictures and has all the info on the car........
Old 08-11-2003, 08:29 PM   #16
White GT
Registered Member

Did you try a Salvage yard.

You can find this vaccum hose on a ton of 5.0 engine. Crown vic, town car, cougar and t-bird's. On mine, i've found this one there.

Others strait line at my ford dealer which is on lockout now

Anyway!

for the link this is HTML

got to ''The Mustang Message Board > User Control Panel For White GT > Edit Profile'' and take a look at the ''vb code'' link.

hope this help.

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote