MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
chatcher
Registered Member

Default t-5 fluid ?

im getting ready to fill the t-5 back up and it seems as though i've picked up the wrong fluid i did a forum search and learned it uses atf so back to the parts store i go my ? however is i was searching to get an idea on just how much fluid i should be putting in and now that i find i need atf does anybody have any suggestions also when filling should i fill to the upper plug with the tranny sitting level or should i tilt it and put in a specified ammount sorry but this is the first manual tranny ive worked on (first time i burnt a clutch)
Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
chatcher
Registered Member

Default Re: t-5 fluid ?

After you replace the driveshaft, the next thing you can do, is fill up the transmission with new ATF. To fill the the transmission, replace the bottom plug, and remove the top plug on the right side. Once it's removed, go above and start filling up the transmission through the shifter hole. Watch through the hole from inside for ATF to start leaking out from the top (fill) plug, and when it does, replace the fill plug, replace the shifter, and your done!

found this paragraph in an article on clutch replacement sound right to you guys?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

That procedure will work. If the tranny is totally empty, you'll use about 5.6 pints. 1 pint = 16 oz.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

That precedure sounds good. I used 2 1/2 quarts of Redline Synthetic ATF when I did mine. If you buy 3 quarts, you will have plenty.

I believe you can also fill it from the fill plug if you use a little hand pump to get it in there, and then u wont have to remove the shifter. I never did this so if i'm wrong, someone correct me.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Quote:
I believe you can also fill it from the fill plug if you use a little hand pump to get it in there, and then u wont have to remove the shifter. I never did this so if i'm wrong, someone correct me.
That is how I always fill mine up. I got one of those suction tubes from autozone for like $10. I just take the top off, fill er up with fluid, and pump it into the hole. Of course, this takes about 4-5 trips, depending on how much you spill.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
chatcher
Registered Member

i already have the handle off because i figured now was a good time to replace the shifter while i had everthing torn apart i still cant phathom that my 5spd uses atf but go figure does anyone know the diff between regular castrol dex+merc and the merc5 oil i picked up the d+m today but i prob wont fill it up for another day or two still trying make sure the right stuff is in there