MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
aar0s
Registered Member

Default smell fuel

i sometimes smell gas in my car and cant find a leak anywhere. could bad o2's make my car run rich and me smell fuel from the pipes or could it be from the vent tube?
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

If it smells raw then you have a leak, under the hood or elsewhere.. if it smells burned, then your running rich.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

If it's an outright fuel leak, that should be easy to spot since the system is highly pressurized.

The other 2 usual suspects are

1. The hose that runs into the charcoal canister. This tends to detach and then the gas tank fumes get vented up front. It's a small black box on the passenger side of the enginebay to the right of the radiator shroud. It has 2 bulbs on top (or two openings if the bulbs have fallen off) and a hose running to it.

2. The little shroud around the filler neck detaches after a while and then when you filler up, some gas pours past the seal into the inner rear 1/4 panel. This causes a ridiculous stink.

If the engine was that off, you'd have a check engine light and some codes stored in the computer. Just check the exhaust. If it's clear, you are ok. If it's grey or black, your're running rich.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
aar0s
Registered Member

hmm well a errent blade off a flex fan cut a big gash in my canister a few years ago but the smell is coming from the back so ill have to check the filler neck thing
Old 10-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Scrapla
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my car and it turned out to be a leaky fuel injector, if all else fails check ur injectors while or right after your cars been runnning just look for a wet injector or a fuel puddle on your manifold.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:33 AM   #6
aar0s
Registered Member

Default hey pete

what happens to the fuel after it leeks into the 1/4? does it drain out anywhere?