MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default flushing cooling system

whats the best way? open petcock, drain, adding water and flush, run engine till tstat opens, turn on heat, drain, repeat with water, then fill with antifreeze. i think this is what most people do. i realize this does not fully flush out the block.

i have heard of reverse flush, disconnect upper rad hose at tstat, take out tstat, insert garden house into empty tstat housing and let run for 15 min with the water exiting out of the disconnected upper rad hose, so it goes though the block and up then out of the radiator. is this the best way? is there a better why w/o having to remove the tstat? thanks.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Heres what I do.

Never open draincock. They break.

Pull off lower hose, don't wear your good sneakers.

Disconnect the (in) heater hose and shove the garden hose in it. Blast away. Do the other side too toward the motor. Or shove it into the lower hose and repeat several times.

Connect hoses refill. Have your front end raised, hill whatever. After I dump a bit into the rad. I squeeze the lower trying to bleed out the air. Run car for a while and squeeze again.<while its off.