MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #1
drtbiker
Registered Member

Default Bad gears=vibration

Well guys i did notice my tranny mount is broken but not that bad. Lately the car at anything over 80 vibrates but then when i let off the gas it gets worse. Do you think it is the drive shaft fliped? Or do you think once i replace the tranny mount the vibration will go away. Can a ring a pinion make this vibration? That is what i am scared of but i am almost positive it isnt that because it wasnt doing that before. But who knows can that make that much of a vibration

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
drtbiker
Registered Member

My bad and it is not the wheels.... they are balanced

later
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE

Old 06-05-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Philossifer
Registered Member

drtbiker,
I went through the same thing with my car (89 LX).

I installed 3:55 gears and out of the blue, I got a weird vibration but only at certain speeds (mostly above 50-mph) and like yours, when I let up on the gas, it got worse.

I was convinced it couldn't be the new gear set so I embarked on a month long mission to find the source of vibration. I went as far as balancing the drive shaft, Flange and Yoke and even installed new U-joints. I became obsessive; I (balance) weighed the bolts that hold the drive shaft to the Flange and even marked my wheels and lug nuts to maintain a baseline! I also used a dial indicator to find the run-out/high-spots on the drive shaft, Flange and Yoke. When I re-installed everything, I countered the high spots by rotating the pieces so the high spots were opposite each other. (I learned this from an NVH guy who works at Fords Research and Development Site)
I'm pretty lucky as my brother works at Fords Research and Development site (in Dearborn, Michigan) so whenever I need a tip, it's no further than a phone call away!

Needless to say, the vibration was not eliminated! It was better but not by much. Now, at this point I suspected the new gear set!
So I installed a new 3:73 gear and the car ran smooth as silk.

It just so happens (Again, Lucky Me) one of my friends brother-in-law works at the Ford Axle plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan. His job is to randomly test gears as they come off the production process. He tested my new (Motorsport) 3:55 gear set and indeed it was bad!

Maybe yours is too.... It happens! Like I said, they randomly test them and if/when one comes up bad, they go back and remove so many that were made before the bad one was found. But some still get past the testing process; it's not perfect. I can attest to that!
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
bottlebaby91
Registered Member

I also had a bad vibration after a gear change and was only at certain rpm's (my speedo doesnt work so i go by rpm) and let off the gas and it got really bad. I balanced tires and rotated the d/s with no luck. I got a new fms aluminum d/s and everything went away.
bottlebaby91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:59 AM   #5
drtbiker
Registered Member

Thumbs up

well i guess i am leaning towards.,... the gears this is going to be a fun one. I just wish i had more time to work on my car. I may have to take it to a shop.

thanks for the
replys

SOME ADVICE

Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #6
tarmon8r
Registered Member

In case i missed it, i would use the kiss principal. Keep It Simple Stupid. Did you check your u-joints?
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Well, I've got the same vibration. Anything above 80-85 mph and it starts to shake. When I let off, it's worse until I slow down below the above speed.

I've got several suspects. It is definately not rpm related, just speed related, and it seems to have begun soon after I had the tranny rebuilt. I'm guessing possibly an internal balancing problem. It's not the converter, and it happens in 3rd and 4th gear. I also suspect maybe the old drive shaft I've got. I read somewhere that the hollow shaft is lined with rubber to absorb vibration. As this gets old and dries out, it is possible for chunks to break off and unbalance the shaft. I've replaced U-joints and it didn't help. Also, I just replaced my old drag radials and had all the tires balanced, and it didn't help.

I haven't really suspected the gears because I've had them for over three years and this problem only began about one year ago. Also, the noise from them hasn't changed significantly.

The tranny is under a three year warranty, so I'll probably take it back and have them go through it. Maybe they can check the balance of the drive shaft as well.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:12 AM   #8
drtbiker
Registered Member

I think it may be the drive shaft i just havent had the time to get around to work on the car. I am one of those people when i want to work on the car it goes from a 15min job to a 5hr project. I like to look everything over once i get under the car and make sure nothing else is falling apart. Hopefully ill get this mess straightend out

later

SOME ADVICE

Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 AM   #9
Shogun
Registered Member

Talking

I'd bet my bottom dollar It's not the gears. I, like many of you had the same problem at 80 mph. Get the aluminum FMS driveshaft. It's 150 bucks and 2 hours in the drivewayto change, rather than 600 for new gears and install. You won't be sorry.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
drtbiker
Registered Member

that is what i am thinking...as soon as i get some time i am going to flip the driveshaft. 180 degrees and see if that makes a differance if not...looks like i am going to start ordering

later

SOME ADVICE

Old 06-12-2003, 01:27 AM   #11
Shogun
Registered Member

It won't help. You will only move the unbalance to the other side. You will change nothing.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:27 AM   #12
Coupe50h
Registered Member

check your bellhousing bolts.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:50 AM   #13
drtbiker
Registered Member

i never thought of that maybe it is...... but i doubt it

later

SOME ADVICE