MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
johnwb
88lx work in progress

Default Distrubtor question

Has anyone changed an EFI distrubtor To work with an eec Iv .If so I would really apperaciate knowing how to do this.I am Currently changing A 1990 5.0 ho to a carbarted engine.any help would be grate thanks.
johnwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: Distrubtor question

Are you putting the 90 distributor in a carbed motor? Or a 90 motor in a car that used to have a carb?

MSD is all ya gotta know bro.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
johnwb
88lx work in progress

Yeah,I guess it would help to know that,I want to put the carb on the 90 motor,I would like to use msd ignition,but first I want make sure the engine is going to run okay before are start spending a bunch of coin.this is the first time I have took a 5.0 with efi and converted it over to a carb.I thought it would be easier because I have no wiring harness and the oxygen sensors are missing and a few other sensors.Originally I had a diffrent car and a different engine but I traded for this car and this engine.I was trying to post a picture of it but the file is too big.I was also wondering if I should stay with the roller cam that came with the motor?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Simi Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwb
I was also wondering if I should stay with the roller cam that came with the motor?
Unless you plan on upgrading to better flowing heads & manifold...I'd keep the stock cam in there.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
83GTMUSTANG
N-V-ME

You Wont Have A Problem With The Dist. As Long As You Use A Duraspark Distributor With Vaccum Advance Or A Msd Dist. An Msd Ignition Box Then Your Good To Go Have Fun........
88' LX MUSTANG: LINCOLN ROTORS , AIR SUSPENSION FRONT AND REAR, SUBFRAMES, ROLL CAGE, 92' BLOCK, MSD 6AL, ACCEL 8.8 WIRES, ACCEL COIL, EDELBROCK F4B INTAKE (PORTED),2 IN. 4 HOLE SPACERS, HOLLEY 600 CARB.,HOLLEY BLUE FUEL PUMP AN REGULATOR, E 303 (.498 IN. 220 DUR.) CAM, (.535 IN. OF LIFT W/ 1.72 SCORPIN ROLLER ROCKERS), PORTED E7'S, FLOWTECH 1 5/8 LONG TUBE HEADERS, 2 1/2 IN. H PIPE, 2 CHAMBER FLOWMASTERS WITH 3 IN.DUMPS, T-5, 3.73 GEARS, 5 LUG AEROSTAR AXELS, 245-45-17 96' COBRA WHEELS
83GTMUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
ols0051
Registered Member

In my 92 I used msd dist Part#8582,blaster3 coil#8223,6al box and make sure to get the proper dist gear(steel billet for roller cam)If you wanted to go vac advance use msd#8479.It's nice because now you can be rid off all the computer stuff. Send the distibuter in to msd and have them change the gear for you. That way if they mess it up it's their baby, also get the pick up plug to go from your msd box to you new dist.
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
johnwb
88lx work in progress

Thanks for the info.I'll proabbly try geting a dist.with vacum advance,and go from there.I didnt realize that the dist gear would have to be changed as well.well hopefully it will be running soon.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

If you just want to get a duraspark distributor and don't want to fool with changing the gear, go to the autoparts and get a distributor to fit a 85GT. It has the correct pickup (can be used with msd 6al if you later decide to upgrade) and it has the steel gear to match the roller cam. Oh yeah, it's a vacuum advance too.

What ignition box did you plan to use anyway?